National Native American Indian/Alaskan Native Heritage Month
National Native American Indian/Alaskan Native Heritage Month remembers the contributions of American Indians and Alaska Natives and honors the heritage of our continent's first inhabitants. For more information, check out The Library of Congress.Please find additional resources below.
- California Native American Day - September 25
- Indigenous Peoples Day - October 12 - learn about the first people on whose land we stand
- Let's Talk About Thanksgiving - November
- 2 Spirit - engage students in learning about the 2 Spirit tradition in Indigenous culture
- What Happened at Wounded Knee? - Learn about the facts of the massacre at Wounded Knee
- Cleveland Indians Change their Name - Students will learn about the movement and activism behind the Cleveland Indians decision to change their name.
- native-land.ca - look up whose land you are currently on
- National Day of Mourning - Learn more about the United American Indians of New England and this historic event
- Activity: Native American and Alaska Native Heritage Month - National Education Association
- Resources: Native American Heritage Month - California Teachers Association
- Resources: Native American Heritage Month - Common Sense Education
- Collection: Native American Heritage - PBS Learning
- Book List: Best Picture Books for Kids by and about American Indians - The Indianapolis Public Library
- Book List: American Indians / Indigenous Peoples / Native Nations - Social Justice Books
Additional commemorations for this month can be found on our Commemorative Calendar including:
National Family Literacy Month
Sikh American Awareness and Appreciation Month
Transgender Day of Remembrance
Organizations, references, links, products or services that appear on this site do not constitute an endorsement of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), Student Health & Human Services (SHHS) or Human Relations, Diversity and Equity (HRDE), nor should an exclusion of other websites be considered intentional. Opinions expressed are solely those of the host website and not necessarily those of LAUSD, SHHS or HRDE. Any advertising presented is solely the responsibility of the host website and not LAUSD.