Welcome to the Certificated Substitute Unit
The Certificated Substitute Unit functions as the primary source for all certificated substitute teacher assignment activity. This site provides current substitute teachers, regular classroom teachers and school administrators information related to the requesting and assigning of day-to-day substitute teachers. Please take this opportunity to familiarize yourself with its many resources, particularly those embedded in Substitute FAQs and Substitute Teacher Resources.SUBSTITUTE UNIT PHONE HOURS ARE FROM 6:00AM TO 2:00PM
Substitute Teacher Qualifications
Currently, the District is considering both fully-credentialed substitute candidates and non-credentialed substitute candidates. The candidates will need to meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) with a 2.7 GPA
- A successful interview conducted by the Certificated Recruitment and Selection staff
- Strong references from the last 3 years of employment
- Successful completion of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Fingerprint and health clearance
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- All non-credentialed candidates will have a mandatory pre-service training requirement of sixteen (16) hours
Retired LAUSD teachers who are in accordance with current CalSTRS regulations and meet the District qualifications above may apply to become Limited Substitutes.If you have questions regarding the application process and/or requirements, please call (213) 241-5300 ore-mail email@example.com.