News and Updates
The rollover to the fall students will occur on Monday, July 26, 2021 around midday now that summer school has concluded. The rollover includes all students enrolled in MiSiS for the fall semester and will be updated regularly until the Friday before school starts (August 13, 2021). Once the students are rolled over, the spring semester 12th graders will be removed and incoming students will be added.
Please check after noon on Monday to confirm that your fall students appropriately appear.
Users are experiencing delays when recording voice messages. The delays are occurring when entering the User ID and Message Box IDs as well as when attempting to listen or save the messsage.
The issue has been reported to Blackboard which is researching the cause of the delays. The system is operational and the user should wait between 4-6 seconds for the Integrated Voice Response system to respond.
In addition, when reopening a message saved in the Drafts folder, it may initially appear that no message has been recorded. Please wait for the system to connect to the recording which may take as much as 10 seconds.
All permanent and long-term substitute teachers have access to this new system. Teachers will also continue to have access to the existing Blackboard Connect for Teachers system which will be available during the school year.
Please click on the Teacher Resources menu to learn how to log in, view the online training and start using the Teacher Communications system.
Blackboard Connect User Access
Principal Access-To request access to the Blackboard Connect mass notification system or to change school locations, please email email@example.com providing the following information:
- Principal Name
- Principal email address
- School locations (including California State Preschools)
- School main phone number.
Other (excluding Principals) User Accounts-The principal can make requests for other Blackboard Connect user accounts to be created by providing the below information.
- Employee Name
- Employee Position (AP, Counselor, SAA, Coordinator, etc.)
- Employee email address
- School locations (including California State Preschools)
- School main phone number.
The previous Blackboard Connect User Request form (available under the Forms menu) can also be completed. The form should no longer be faxed to the number on the form but should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Notice: Updating Student Contact Notification in MiSiS
When enrolling a student for the first time or updating new telephone contact information, please ensure that parental email addresses, general, attendance and emergency notification and text (if provided) contact information is entered for at least one parent. Ensure that the relationship is listed as Mother, Father, Step-Mother, Step Father or Guardian (avoid using the Parent classification).
The Blackboard Connect system allows for up to six telephone numbers, two text numbers and two emails to be associated with each student. The telephone contact and email information should be entered on the MiSiS Parent/Guardian Info page. Any students without at least one notification contact number will not appear in the Blackboard Connect system.
Blackboard Connect for Teacher History Reports
Teachers are receiving an error message when attempting to run a history report of messages that were sent.
- Try running report using a different browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Safari).
- Try clearing the broswer cache in your current browser and running the History report again.
- Sending Messages with Variables
- Emergency Communications Best Practices
When an emergency or urgent need to communicate is warranted, consider the following when setting up the Blackboard message:
- Send the message as an "Emergency" call type and not "Outreach". This will result in every phone number, email and text number being called by the Blackboard Connect system improving the District's ability to reach the parents/guardians and employees.
- Send the message at the earliest appropriate time giving the parents/guardians and employees as much notification as possible.
- Take advantage of the multilingual capabilities of the Blackboard Connect system to send messages in multiple languages at the same time as opposed to setting up separate messages for each language.
- Have a qualified person do the translation considering their availability and balancing this with how soon the message must go out. If needed, take advantage of the built-in automated translation feature within Blackboard Connect.
- Send the message in all delivery modes including voice, email and text message to provide the best chances of reaching parents/guardians and employees. Text messages are limited to 300 total characters including spaces and punctuation. Begin the text message with the name of the school or local district.
- Parents/guardians or employees who have opted out from receiving voice, email and text messages will receive communications if the call is sent as an emergency call.
- For parents who want to opt back in to receiving calls, they should call 855 502-7867 from the phone on which they were previously receiving calls. To opt back in to receiving text messages, text "START LAUSD" to 23177.
- Need Access to Blackboard Connect?
To obtain your separate Blackboard Connect User ID and Password complete the UserID Request Form
- Correcting Errant Calls
The following is the process for removing your phone number from the notification system if you are not associated with LAUSD as a parent or employee. Parents of LAUSD students and LAUSD Employees cannot opt-out of the District notification system.
If You Know the Name of the School Calling You
Contact the school and request that your phone number be corrected in the MiSiS student information system. This information is shared with the notification system daily and should result in no calls being received after 48 hours. Only the school can make changes to student contact data. In addition, if the errant number relates to an employee at the school, the school can communicate with the employee the need to update their telephone contact information at the LAUSD Employee Self Service module (https://ess.lausd.net). If the contact at the school does not make the correction, make the request directly to the Principal. If the school still does not make the correction, direct your concern to the Appropriate Local District (LD).
If You Do Not Know the Name of the School Calling You
Please call (213) 241-0875, listen to the recording and provide the requested information. Messages are retrieved throughout the day and the correction will be processed within 48 hours.
- Receiving Partial Message or Hearing Message Repeat?
It is a rare event that recipients do not hear the entire message live or receive it on their answering machines or voicemail. In the event that they receive a partial message or hear the message restart, it is often caused by ambient background noise or a poor phone connection.
Ambient noise in the background or a poor phone line connection can cause the system to mistakenly identify the recipient as the answering machine outgoing message. When this occurs, the system will interpret the ambient noise or static from a poor connection as a person's voice and will stop playing the message until it no longer detects the interruption at which point the message will restart.
It is recommended that calls are answered in a quiet environment (or that the phone is muted if a noisy environment is unavoidable) and that calls are taken when good cell connections exist.
- Updating Contact Information
Update Student Contact Information
Complete the new Student Emergency Information Form each year to ensure the school has your most current contact information. You can select the phone numbers to use for general, attendance and emergency notifications! To find the new Student Emergency Information Form, please click on the "Families" section from the main LAUSD website (www.lausd.net), then click on the "Forms and Policies" link.
Updating Employee Contact Information|
Updating or correction of employee contact information can only be made by the employee through the Employee Self Service system (https://ess.lausd.net).
- Opt-Out/Opt-In: Blackboard Connect/Blackboard Connect for Teachers
The Blackboard Connect 5 system has been upgraded to include new features. Individuals receiving calls can now Opt-Out from getting future calls.
- At the end of every message, Opt-Out instructions will be heard. The recipient can press the appropriate number to Opt-Out the phone number on which they are receiving the call. Alternatively, they can dial (855) 502-7867 to Opt-Out.
- This will impact receiving Outreach (general) messages and Blackboard Connect for Teachers messages. It does not impact Attendance or Emergency calls sent by schools, local districts or central district offices. Attendance and Emergency calls directly impact the safety of students and staff and will continue to be delivered by the system.
- If an erroneous call is being made to a non-parent or non-employee, and they have already Opted-Out using the automated system, there is still the potential for them to receive Attendance and Emergency calls. To fully prevent calls from being made to this erroneous number, it must be corrected on the MiSiS Parent/Guardian screen for K-12 schools or the appropriate screen in EESIS and DACESIS for Early Education Centers and Adult schools, respectively. For employees, the correction must occur in the Employee Self-Service system (ess.lausd.net). Deleting the number directly from Blackboard Connect will only be effective for 24 hours or until the next LAUSD data file is received by Blackboard.
- Parents and employees can choose to Opt back into receiving Outreach (general) messages by calling (855) 502-7867 for any phone number that was previously Opted-Out.
- Parents and employees can choose to Opt back in to receiving Text messages by texting "START LAUSD" to 91841.
- For opting emails back in, please contact the Blackboard Office (see Contact Us).
- Blackboard Connect for Teachers messages will also include the same Opt-Out instructions.
- For every text and email message sent, the recipient will also be provided instructions on how to Opt-Out from receiving future messages.
- Blackboard Connect for Teachers-Students Rosters
The Blackboard Connect for Teacher system updates class rosters based upon active students. The rosters are expected to be updated the day after the first day of school. Please check your rosters the following morning to ensure all enrolled students appear. Important Note: To verify class roster, please click on the Send Message tab. Data on the Home tab reflects the last time a message was sent which may be a previous semester.
- Student Data/Teacher Rosters
Please remember that students must have valid notification contact information in MiSiS in order for them to appear in Blackboard Connect and Blackboard Connect for Teachers. This information should be obtained from the Student Emergency Information Form. Do not enter telephone contact information directly into Blackboard Connect as this will be overwritten the next morning when the District provides a new student file to Blackboard Connect.
If a student is missing from Blackboard Connect or Blackboard Connect for Teachers, please check with the person responsible for MiSiS at your site to verify they have the proper information entered in the system. Updates in MiSiS will take 24 hours to appear in Blackboard Connect.
If your school site would like to add users to access the Blackboard Connect system, please complete the UserID Request Form available under Forms within the School Office Resources menu heading. Teachers do not have to complete this form to gain access to Blackboard Connect for Teachers. Please email Paul Ishimaru or Mark Callier for assistance
- Blackboard Connect for Teachers Password Expiration Emails
The Blackboard Connect for Teachers system automatically generates a password expiration email approximately every 180 days. The email will come from the System Administrator-Paul Ishimaru. Users of the Blackboard Connect for Teachers system can change their password under the Account Preferences link. Teachers who are not using the system do not need to take any action. They can always establish a password at a later time when they first sign into the system.