Complaint Response Unit
The CRU is committed to providing families of students with disabilities the information, assistance and resources they need to become meaningful participants in the education of their children. CRU will facilitate collaboration between district staff and parents to enable the District to provide a lawful response in a timely manner.
About the Complaint Response Unit (CRU)
The Los Angeles Unified School District established the Complaint Response Unit (CRU) to join the Division of Special Education to respond to concerns of parents of students with disabilities. CRU services may be accessed by calling (800) 933-8133 or by visiting the unit at the administrative offices of the Los Angeles Unified School District, located at 333 South Beaudry, 18th Floor, Los Angeles, California 90017.
The purpose of the Complaint Response Unit (CRU) is to give the District an opportunity to resolve parent complaints without the need for parents to resort to external complaint and due process mechanisms.
The unit is responsible for accurately recording all parent inquiries and complaints that they receive by telephone or in writing. The District will provide parents with a written response that satisfies the District's legal obligations and may be one of the following:
- a remedy and, where appropriate, the date by which the remedy shall be implemented;
- information that an appropriate referral has been made
- suggested action the complaint may wish to take; or
- a determination that the complaint has been investigated and determined to be unfounded.
- Information related to your child’s education
- Assistance with District policies and procedures
- Information about special education and the Modified Consent Decree
- Information about parent involvement and participation opportunities
- Liaison with Educational Service Centers (ESCs)
- Internet resource library link
- Telephone helpline
- Monthly Presentations
To reach the CRU, call (800) 933-8133. Staff members are available to assist you Monday - Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.