Homeless Education OfficePurpose
The Homeless Education Office (HEO) was designed to provide assistance to homeless students and families in compliance with the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act, an integral part of No Child Left Behind. The HEO personnel work in collaboration with school personnel and community service agencies in an effort to maximize access to various educational, social and enrichment programs which promote academic success and student achievement.Objectives
- Provide ongoing training, technical assistance and advocacy district wide to ensure federal statutes and district policy are being followed in regards to homeless students in the LAUSD.
- Remove barriers to academic success for McKinney Vento eligible students by providing needed supplies such as backpacks, school supplies, clothing, transportation, etc.
- Educate students and parents on their educational rights.
- Promote parent participation in school related activities.
Currently the LAUSD Homeless Education Office is staffed by a District Support PSA Counselor, five Title I Homeless PSA Counselors, eight PSA Aides, a Counselor Aide, a Senior Parent Community Facilitator, and a Senior Office Technician. The HEO works to serve the identified students and families that are experiencing homelessness within our district boundaries. In the 2017-2018 school year, 15,665 students experiencing homelessness were identified and served.
THANK YOU to ALL of our donors and sponsors for all the support your provide to our students!
Below are just some clips and pics of some of our donors/sponsors and our events for our students:
LAUSD Maintenance and Operations 2019 Holiday Luncheon
HEO Photo Gallery - Events
INFORMATIONSTUDENT HOUSING QUESTIONNAIRES (SHQs) EVENTS & INITIATIVES
OSB Universal Day of Giving
November is National Homeless Youth Awareness Month
Helping Others to Progress in Education (HOPE) Scholarship
Apartment 3C Bright Future Scholarship
Graduate Recognition Ceremony (College/Resource Fair)
Vendor Registration FlyerMEDIA RELEASE FORMS
HEO IN THE NEWS COMMUNITY RESOURCES HOMELESS EDUCATION RESOURCES
- Academic Support and Achievement Program
- A-G Diploma Program
- Commerical Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC)
- Homeless Education Office
- Specialized Support Services
- Student Discipline and Expulsion Support
Denise Miranda, Ed.D.
District Homeless and Foster Youth Liaison
District Contact: Denise Miranda, Ed.D.
For additional information on students experiencing homelessness and students in Foster Care, please visit Specialized Support Services.Address:333 S. Beaudry Ave., 29th FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017P: (213) 241-3840F: (213) 241-3305