The LAUSD American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center is managed by District Nursing Services. The program offers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) with the use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and First Aid training to all District employees. After successful completion of the training, each participant receives a certification card from the AHA, which is valid for two years. The classes meet the State Teacher Credentialing requirement for CPR. Class schedules are posted on District Nursing’s website and class enrollment is in MyPLN. Employees have two options in which to meet the certification requirements: Option 1 - completing an all-day classroom course or *Option 2 – is a blended learning format with the cognitive portion of the course completed online with the AHA, followed by an in-classroom skills practice and testing session (2 hours). Both classroom options are conducted at District Nursing Services Training Room.
*While the pandemic is in effect, all courses will be conducted in the blended learning format to minimize classroom time.
For questions contact District Nursing Services at (213) 202-7580.
The District has over 450 AEDs placed in schools and offices throughout the District. AEDs are used to treat persons, who succumb to sudden cardiac arrest (SCA); who are unconscious and not breathing. Contact District Nursing Services if your school or office is planning to purchase or will be receiving a donated AED; there are District guidelines that must be met. The AED Program overview consists of the following:
1. Coordinate and implement AED medical policies and protocols.
2. Provide consultation to schools and offices regarding AED policies, protocols, maintenance and corrective action on reported AED problems.
3. Coordinate and schedule CPR/AED training courses.
4. Maintain CPR/AED training records.
5. Assist in post-incident reporting and in returning the AED to readiness status after use.
6. Assist with post-incident reviews, debriefings, and quality assurance.
Susana Mislang, RN, School Nurse
District Nursing Services - Roybal Annex
- What's New
- Nursing E-Library
- Parent Resources
- Immunizations and Enrollment
Immunization Toolkit for Schools
- Important Health Information
- Local District Nursing Services
- Special Education Services
- Specialized Nursing Programs