Student Medical Services & Medi-Cal Programs is comprised of a small team of school physicians, nurse practitioners, optometrists, and medical support staff working together to provide needed health care to students who have no access to a regular doctor.
Our unit provides direct services in schools, as well as in school-based health centers, and our team provides policy and program direction for the entire school district.
We work collaboratively with our Student Health and Human Services providers to ensure comprehensive, integrated school health delivery.
What we do:
• Plan school-based and school-linked health programs targeted at promoting optimal student
• Develop policies and procedures that protect and enhance student health, including
coordination with other divisions that address student health issues.
• Provide school physician services District-wide, concentrating on medically complex cases and
students who do not have access to a regular health provider.
• Provide staff and oversight to PTA vision clinics, and assist with establishing standards and
quality assurance for student vision care activities.
• Develop and implement quality assurance and performance improvement programs for health
• Facilitate staff development and education on important and emerging student health issues.
• Establish linkages with public and private community organizations and agencies to improve
student access to health care.
Ron Tanimura, Ed.D
333 S. Beaudry Ave., 29th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
P: (213) 202-7584
Fax: (213) 580-0559
Health Partner - Important Information
In accordance with Los Angeles Unified School District policy, all vendor staff who visit a DISTRICT site and/or provide in-person services to students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by no later than October 15, 2021. Please download the forms below.
COVID-19 Vaccination Compliance Certification
Vendor Vaccination Letter
Vendor Vaccination Requirements - FAQs
Please feel free to review and share with any other colleagues. Should you have any questions please contact our SMS staff: