Question 9: What can schools do to help students as they prepare to leave school?

Schools can develop cooperative relationships with employers and adult human service agencies, so that students leaving school receive support in making the transition to their new life in the community. Vocational rehabilitation agencies, employment and training programs, transportation systems and other agencies should be included in the transition process. As the student's needs for supports and services are identified, services from each agency can be arranged and included in the student's transition plan. Many states are converting to systems designed to give the person with a disability the control over how funds are spent for adult supports. States are using the term "Self-Determination" to describe this new way of providing funding for what the person needs.