- Los Angeles Unified School District
Statement from Los Angeles Unified Board President Kelly Gonez And Interim Superintendent Megan K. Reilly (09-22-21)
CONTACT: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Shannon Haber September 22, 2021
Statement from Los Angeles Unified Board President Kelly Gonez
And Interim Superintendent Megan K. Reilly
LOS ANGELES (September 22, 2021) – Los Angeles Unified and United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA) announced today they have reached a tentative agreement to provide Continuity of Learning for students who are quarantined due to COVID-19 or a wildfire-related school closure and to settle the salary reopener from the 2019-2022 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
“This agreement demonstrates our continued partnership amidst this unprecedented pandemic,” Board President Kelly Gonez and Interim Superintendent Megan K. Reilly said. “It provides students and their families clear expectations and support for learning at home if they are asked to isolate or quarantine. This agreement also supports our educators and students during this difficult and unique time. We will continue to work with public health officials to maintain the safest possible learning environment and workplace for all.”
Employees will receive a 5 percent ongoing wage increase and $2500 in one-time stipends. School Nurses will receive a $5,000/3-year retention incentive. The District and UTLA also tentatively agreed to additional flexibilities in staffing for the City of Angels online independent study program that will have a positive impact on students who are unable to attend school in-person.
Summary of Agreement
- Five percent ongoing wage increase retroactive to July 1, 2021.
- A one-time $2000 instructional stipend for provision of additional services.
- A one-time $500 technology stipend.
- A $5,000 retention incentive for nurses, to be paid out over three years.
Continuity of Learning
- Agreement to provide live access to classroom instruction for students who are quarantined at home due to COVID-19 via Zoom.
- Agreement to work collaboratively with an in-class substitute to provide instruction and direction to all students if the classroom teacher is quarantined at home.
- Agreement to provide live instruction to all students if an entire class/school is closed due to COVID-19 or wildfires via Zoom.
Health & Safety
- Back to School Night and parent-educator conferences shall be conducted virtually.
- IEP team meetings may be held virtually for parents who choose to use this alternative means of meeting participation. For parents who choose to have an IEP team meeting in person, the space requirements must be in alignment with current Los Angeles County Department of Public Health guidelines.
- Weekly COVID-19 testing for all students and employees will continue through the end of the first semester and for unvaccinated individuals thereafter.
- Students, staff and visitors will continue to be screened for COVID-19 symptoms prior to entering campuses and will continue to enforce mask mandates.
- Local School Leadership Councils at each school shall make every effort to develop alternative student eating procedures for inclement weather days, with the goal of preventing any students from eating in classrooms.
This agreement is subject to the approval by the Los Angeles Unified Board of Education and ratification by the UTLA membership. If approved by both parties, the contract will be in effect through June 30, 2022.