- Los Angeles Unified School District
- Private School Office
II. Determine the actions your school is responsible for taking and the relevant timelines
- Responding to any request for special education evaluation within the 15-day timeline in accordance with District procedures and state/federal regulations.
- Conducting initial assessments and re-evaluations of private school students referred for evaluation of eligibility for special education services according to District procedures.
- Convening an Individualized Education Program (IEP) meeting within sixty (60) days of receiving written consent to complete the assessment and making a offer of a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE).
- Convening 3-year IEP meetings, or an annual IEP upon requested by parent(s)/legal guardians, for the purpose of providing FAPE.
- Developing a Services Plan for students with disabilities parentally-placed in a private school.
For resident students attending a private school located outside LAUSD boundaries, the public school of residence is responsible for:
- Referring parent to the District of Location for evaluation unless the parent intends to enroll in the public school for purposes of receiving FAPE (REMINDER: consent to release confidential student information is required before communicating with another public school district)
- Convening review IEP meetings for the purpose of providing FAPE for resident students that have been identified as a student with a disability, upon parental request.
- Refering parent to the District of Location for a Services Plan meeting.
For students whose residence is outside LAUSD boundaries but attend a private school located within LAUSD boundaries, the public school closest to the private school will:
- Accept the parent’s written request for evaluation.
- Obtain consent to release information.
- Collect any information provided by parent or the referring party.
- Forward the written request, consent forms, and any records obtained immediately upon receipt of the request to the Private School Office. The Private School Office must respond to the evaluation request within the same 15-day timeline.