Hiring Manager Resources - I Have A General Question

  • What is the Topic of the Question?

    Assignment Procedures


    I have a vacant, newly budgeted Classified position. How do I fill it?

    There are two types of positions – those that can be filled directly by the school and those that must be filled with a candidate on an employment eligibility list.

    For positions that require that a candidate be hired from an employment eligibility list, the Assignment Technician will send a list of qualified candidates to interview once a request for budget authorization (RPA– Request for Personnel Action) is sent to the Classified Employment Services Branch. When a candidate is identified to fill the vacancy, the Assignment Technician will make an employment offer and will schedule a new hire processing appointment for the individual.


    For positions that may be filled directly by the school, the location may select anyone they wish to fill the position and do not have to use an eligibility list. These positions are filled based on Education Code provisions which allow “restricted” assignments without an official employment testing process. Employees in these positions do not have “rights” to their position and do not accrue seniority in the position, meaning they do not have “bumping” rights if there is a reduction-in-force. Typically, however, employees in these positions are eligible to be testing after a certain amount of time and if they are successful on the test, will become permanent in their position.

    Why does it take so long to fill a position? 

    Some of the factors which contribute to the time needed to fill a position include:

    • The lack of available candidates with specialized skills such as a person with bilingual skills.

    • The work location, assignment basis, number of assigned hours, or the work shift may be considered less desirable by candidates.

    • Difficulty getting in touch with candidates to arrange to be interviewed.

    • The candidate(s) hired for positions are new to the District and must be processed to comply with specific requirements such as testing for tuberculosis and having their background checked. In addition, they must, in most cases, provide proof of education requirements and may need to secure transcripts to verify educational history. There are additional requirements for some positions, such as a need to be cleared by the Department of Social Services (DSS) and/or provide evidence that they have received certain vaccinations, which may delay the processing of new employees.

    • Candidates don’t bring all required documents to their new hire processing appointment making it necessary to reschedule their appointment.

    What can be done to shorten this process?
    Ways to accelerate the process include:

    • Interview promptly to fill vacancy; if a location delays in making an offer of employment, the candidate may accept an assignment at another location.

    • Emphasize to the person chosen that all required information must be available during employment processing according to the Classified Employment Processing Documentation Reference Sheet (CEPTRS).

    • Review ALL processing documents requirements (CEPTRS) and your candidate’s documents before scheduling the employment processing appointment. Note that all documents submitted must be original documents, and names listed on all identification documents brought to the new-hire processing appointment must match exactly (e.g. high school diploma, college degree, driver’s license, etc.) or the process will be delayed.

    • After the candidate has accepted the official offer of employment from CESB, please forward the Nepotism Certification form to your Assignment Technician immediately. 

    Selecting and Assigning Employees



    How many individuals may I interview for a vacancy at my site?

    For positions that require that you select from an employment eligibility list, you may interview all candidates within the top three ranks of the eligibility list in addition to employees requesting transfers and reinstatements. This number can vary from one or two to as many as 20 or more based on the number of individuals within the top three ranks.


    Can a former employee start working immediately since he already has an employee number?

    NO. Having an employee number does not authorize a person to work. Contact Classified Employment Services to determine if the person is eligible to work and/or what is necessary to rehire the person.

    We have Teacher Assistants and Education Aides that we wish to utilize to support our main office staff. Can we do this?

    Union contracts and Personnel Commission rules and policies require that employees work in their correct job class and perform duties appropriate for that class. As such, Teacher Assistants and Education Aides should be used to assist with instructional support and should not be used primarily as clerical support.

    Why can’t I hire a college student to work a clerical assignment for the summer?

    The Unit D Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article IX, Section 6.0 requires that regular clerical employees have first rights to assignments during the summer.

    The School Administrative Assistant at our school has retired. An Office Technician in the main office can do the job. How do we get her into the position?

    The Office Technician must compete in the employment testing process for School Administrative Assistant and place and be within the top three ranks on the eligibility list for your school’s assignment area. Contact the Human Resources Officer to discuss the possible options for making a temporary assignment and to learn when recruitment will open for the position of School Administrative Assistant.

    My Plant Manager II just passed the test for Plant Manager III. How do I promote her/him at my school?

    The classification level of Plant Manager is based on a formula which takes into account the square footage of area to be cared for at your school. If there has been no physical change at your location, your Plant Manager will have to move to a different location in order promote.
    The formula used in making the classification level determination has been used for many years with the support of both the administration and union representatives. It is an attempt to reflect the complexity of the Plant Manager’s job in as simple a way as possible. The number of positions and the many possible factors involved at each individual location make specific studies of each position impractical.

    Why can’t I just keep a temporary employee instead of using an eligibility list?

    Provisions of the Education Code require that classified positions be filled with candidates who have placed on employment eligibility lists. In other words persons must be tested to demonstrate their ability to perform the duties of the class to which they may be assigned. Employment testing and subsequent appointment from an eligibility list are the requirements for participation in the benefits of a regular employee and are also a guarantee to the District and community that only qualified persons receive school district jobs. If a temporary person is qualified, they are encouraged to apply and take the employment test to become a regular employee. The test will confirm their qualifications.
    The Classified Employment Services Branch understands that the abrupt termination of a temporary employee can be highly disruptive. Therefore, it is our policy to work with administrators to fill positions with a regular status employee and allow the substitute to continue working until the new regular employee can report or a selection is made. Once the eligibility list is established, a selection from the eligibility list must be made within 30 days from the establishment of the eligibility list to adhere to applicable education code, Personnel Commission rules and union contract provisions.

    Why do I have to take a “displaced” employee?

    The Education Code and collective bargaining agreements grant employees certain employment guarantees. For example, persons who lose their positions during a layoff have a right to bump the person with the least seniority in the classification, no matter where the position is located. However, a laid off employee will be placed in a vacant position rather than bump another employee, if there is a vacant position.
    We are aware that the placement of a “displaced” employee can be disruptive. We understand that it is difficult to have to retrain someone who is new to your staff, given that we are all so busy. However, there are many highly qualified and effective employees who are laid off because of lack of funds or lack of work, and with a small amount of training and commitment, these employees can become vital members of your staff.

    With school reform and the empowerment of individual school committees, why can’t a school simply hire anyone who meets the qualifications agreed upon at the school?

    Although the Classified Employment Services is a strong supporter of school reform and community involvement, the provisions of the Education Code regarding classified employment are still applicable and we must abide by the requirements of the law which includes provisions that specify how Classified employees are hired. Although there are laws we must follow, we will work closely with schools to find solutions that allow for an acceptable result without violating the Code or contractual agreements between the District and employee unions. We are pleased to explore ways to achieve a location’s needs and goals within the framework of the legal requirements under which we must all work.


    Substitute and Other Assignments



    What is substitute?  A provisional employee?  A relief employee?


    A substitute is an employee who is temporarily occupying a position during the absence of the regular incumbent.

    A provisional employee is a person assigned to a vacant position in the absence of an eligibility list.  Once an eligibility list is established, a regular appointment must be made from the list, meaning that the provisional employee will be released.

    A relief position is a limited term position of not more than six months duration to augment the staff for special projects.  If the position is needed for more than six months, a regular position must be established.




    How and when can we get a substitute for an absence employee?


    Substitutes are provided depending on several factors established for budgetary or operational reasons.

    For example, schools with two or less clerical employees are eligible for a substitute on the first day of absence of a regular employee at the school.  Schools with more than two clerical staff may request a substitute after six days of absence.  Substitutes cannot be used if a regular employee is on vacation with the exception of specific Early Education classifications. 
    If your school needs a substitute, you should contact the Classified Employment Services.
    SmartFind Express (SFE) automated substitute management system (telephone and web accessible)
    General Call-In number for SFE (866) 477- 3233     
    SFE Help Desk for all classifications(213) 241-7808 OR (213) 241-3362
    • For day-to- day substitute assignments - Contact your Maintenance and Operations Area Substitute Help Desk

    • For long-term* substitute assignments - Contact the Assignment Technician who supports your site/location
          *In place of someone on a leave of absence (21 days or more), leave to higher or vacancy 


    I have a substitute working in a vacancy.  The substitute failed the employment test and the eligibility list has been established.  How can I keep the substitute employee?

     If the eligibility list has a sufficient number of eligibles (three ranks), the location cannot keep the substitute for more than 30 working days from the date the list is established.  When the location selects an eligible from the list, the substitute may continue working in the assignment until the new regular employee is able to report.


    How do I release an unacceptable substitute?

    Contact the Assignment Technician that handles your school and simply state that you wish to release the substitute.  You will be asked to provide the reason in writing on the Classified Substitute Unsatisfactory Report (PC Form 5310), so that we may track unreliable or problem individuals and remove them from the substitute pool.  This person will not be returned to your school.  

    What is meant by a multiple assignment?


    A multiple assignment is an additional assignment for an employee who is currently working in another job classification.


    Which employees may be given multiple assignments?

    Only certain part-time employees may be given a multiple assignment and only if combined with certain classifications. Please contact the Assignment Technician supporting your site/location if you need detailed information.

    Why can’t I give any employee an additional assignment?

    An additional assignment may cause a non-benefitted employee to become eligible for Health Insurance and PERS/Social Security. Typically Health Insurance costs are not budgeted for when the position was established. Also, the Federal Government Fair Labor Standards Act may be violated by an additional assignment.



    Teacher Assistant and District Requirements

    I have a Teacher Assistant that started working in January. Is this new employee required to complete twelve semester units by June?
    No. Only six units are required to be completed by the end of the school year. See Article VII, Section 2.1 of the Unit F collective bargaining agreement. All collective bargaining contracts can be found on the LAUSD website under the “Office of Labor Relations”.


    Since Teacher Assistants are on “X” basis, does this means that they work year-round or do they need to be on a Track? 
    Teacher Assistants are budgeted based on 180 days of instruction. If you work them year-round you will overdraft your budget. If you want your Teacher Assistant to work additional hours, please consult your Fiscal Specialist for budget advisement to ensure you do not overrun your budget.

    Does a Teacher Assistant that is transferring from one location to another need to resign from the current location?
    No. On the RPA form you should indicate that this employee is transferring from another location.  Fill out the RPA form completely with all of the required information and include the Nepotism Certification form.

    Are the college requirements the same for a Teacher Assistant that goes on leave during the school year ?
    Yes. Even when a Teacher Assistant is on leave the college requirements is still applicable.

    Is there a grace period for Teacher Assistants which allows them not to be enrolled in college for a semester?
    A Teacher Assistant must be enrolled in college at all time as a condition of employment. All Teacher Assistants must be making significant progress toward credentials. While there is no grace period for non-enrollment, the Unit F Collective Bargaining Agreement does allow a once-in-a-career grace period for a Teacher Assistant who has enrolled (see next question).
    What is a grace period for Teacher Assistants?  
    A grace period is a provision of the Unit F Collective Bargaining Agreement that allows a Teacher Assistant to continue his/her employment with the District when he/she would normally be terminated.  The grace period can be used in the following ways:
    • A Teacher Assistant enrolls in college and then has to withdraw for whatever reason for a semester.
    • A Teacher Assistant fails to successfully complete the required number of college units per school year.  These units have to be made up the following school year as well as maintaining the normal unit requirements.
    • A Teacher Assistant is allowed a once in a career grace period.

    Which classifications need to meet the No Child Left Behind requirements?


    Any classification that assists the teacher with the student’s instructional program in a classroom setting (paraprofessional) must meet the District’s proficiency requirement. Examples would be Instructional Aides, Teacher Assistants, Special Education Trainees/Assistants, Early Childhood Aides, Education Aides III’s etc.

    How does an employee meet the District policy and the NCLB requirements?
    District policy and the NCLBA require that all paraprofessionals must have a high school diploma or GED and are required to pass the District Proficiency Test. Employees can meet the new requirement of the No Child Left Behind in one of the following ways:
    • Have 60 semester or 90 quarter units from a recognized college or university and pass the District Proficiency Test OR
    • Have an associate degree from a recognized college or university and pass the District Proficiency Test OR
    • Pass the Instructional Assistance Test and pass the District Proficiency Test.



    Bilingual Differentials

    What is a bilingual differential?
    This is a salary differential authorized for regular employees if they are frequently required to (a) converse fluently in a non-English language or use sign language at Level II or (b) speak, interpret, and write a non-English language fluently or use sign language at Level I. The employee must have passed the appropriate bilingual skills test. This differential becomes effective on the first day of the pay period following approval by the Classified Employment Services. The amounts and conditions of the differential are listed on the current collective bargaining agreements and Personnel Commission Rule 588.

    Is there an test to determine bilingual proficiency?
    The employee must demonstrate bilingual proficiency by passing a bilingual skill test which can be scheduled by visiting www.lausdemployment.org and clicking on the “Bilingual Assessment” tab.
    How is the differential funded?
    Funding is charged to the school/office budget.  If the request is for a “Bilingual Salary Differential” and the position is in a bargaining unit, approval to submit this form must be obtained from the Fiscal Specialist or Division Head. 

    If an employee moves to another location will they continue to receive the differential?
    The bilingual differential is requested and approved by the school or office administrator, not the individual employee. A Request for Bilingual differential must be approved and submitted by the administrator at the new location. The bilingual differential does not follow the employee throughout his or her career with the District.

    Personnel Transactions, Pay, and Leave

    What is an RPA?

    An RPA is a Request for Personnel Action – this form has a dual purpose:

    • Authorize budget (e.g.  Establish a position, increase or decrease assigned hours for a position, change basis or shift of a position or create a relief position).  

    • Initiate a personnel assignment action.  The RPA must have the appropriate fiscal/budget approval signatures to authorize the personnel action.  
    The RPA is initially submitted to Budget Services by your Fiscal Specialist on your behalf.   The requests for position modification, establishment or closure are also handled by Budget Services.   Your Fiscal Specialist serves as your liaison between Budget Services.   Once the RPA has been approved by Budget Services, it should be submitted to your Assignment Technician to start the hiring process or related personnel transaction.   The RPA submission is confirmation that the position has been established and/or is funded according to your staffing needs. 

    An employee at my location did not get paid. What are the possible reasons and how do I correct it?
    Due to the complexity of our assignment/payroll system, delays or errors sometimes do occur. There are many reasons why a person does not get paid. Some of the more common ones are: 

    • An employee’s assignment begins at the end of a pay period or after payroll cut- off.
    • The school or office begins working an employee but did not submit or forward the necessary paperwork and an official employment offer from Classified Employment Services has not occurred.

    The best way to research a non-payment is to have the time reporter double-check time reporting by contacting the supporting Payroll Specialist. If it is identified that the assignment attributes are contributing to the non- payment, contact the Assignment Technician who supports your school. Usually the problem can easily be identified and corrected and the employee can be paid as soon as possible.

    We understand the importance of timely payment of employees and make every effort to correct problems in an expeditious manner.

    My School Administrative Assistant wants to transfer to another school.  She is important to the smooth operation of our location. Can I deny the request?
    You may temporarily delay the transfer. The supervisory collective bargaining agreement states that an administrator must approve the request but may defer the effective date for up to six months. For the deferral periods for other classified classifications, please refer to the second page of the Request for Transfer form (PC Form 5005). 


    An employee wishes to take a leave to “take care of personal business.”  Must I approve this request?
    No. A supervisor is not required to grant a personal (permissive) leave. Permissive leaves are granted at the discretion of the administrator.
    Special Note: There is no guarantee of a replacement/substitute employee in place of the incumbent during the permissive leave period. This should be considered before approving a permissive leave.

     Why does it appear to take so long to process a leave?
    There are several reasons why leave requests may be delayed in processing.  These include:

    • Leave of absence requests are frequently submitted late, often months after the person has gone on the leave.
    • Lack of original documents with approved signatures.  Copies cannot be used because questions sometimes arise regarding the accuracy of the facts stated on the leave forms.  In addition, copies are sometimes not legible.

    • Required Attending Physicians Statement is often not included with the leave paperwork.
    If there is a problem or discrepancy related to the submitted leave of absence, please contact the Classified Employment Services-Leave of Absence Unit at 213-241-6300, select option #3 as soon as possible.  Every effort will be made to resolve the problem.

    What are the requirements for a Family Care Leave?  


    To be eligible for a family care leave of absence, an employee must have been employed for at least twelve months and served for 130 work days during the twelve months immediately preceding the effective date of the leave.  Refer to the appropriate collective bargaining agreement for information.  Additionally, the district’s Integrated Disability Management website has a web page dedicated to the FMLA/CFRA program under “Absence Management” that includes information for both employees and administrators or call (213) 241-3954 with general questions.  

    Why are employees separated from the District while they are on illness leave?

    Employees are not separated because they are ill. Collective bargaining agreements and/or the Education Code provide for the number of paid leave days an employee may receive. Once those paid leave illness and vacation balance days are exhausted, an employee is separated and placed on a reemployment list for thirty-nine months. If during that period, the employee recovers and is cleared by the District’s medical staff, he or she may be returned to work and assigned to the first available position in their job classification.

    A staff member is returning from a personal or industrial illness or injury leave of absence, what
    do I need to do? 

    • All employees must provide a Notice of Intent to Return to Work form to their site administrator in order to return from any leave of absence. The notice should be submitted to the administrator and Classified Employment Services at least 24 hours prior to returning to the work site. If the employee was out due to personal illness or industrial illness or injury, the attending physician must sign the form releasing them to return to work with no job related restrictions. Send the original form to the Classified Employment Services Branch, the employee is to retain a copy and provide should provide a copy to you as the administrator.

    • If the employee is released to return to work with job related restrictions, before you allow the employee to return to work, certain information is needed, such as:

      • Are the restrictions job related?

      • Are the restrictions temporary or permanent?

      • Are you able to informally accommodate the employee to return to his/ her job?
    As the site administrator, if you cannot informally accommodate the employee, please obtain an application for reasonable accommodations from the District’s Reasonable Accommodation Program Unit by calling (213) 241-1319 or contact the appropriate representative listed below:


    Contacting of the people mentioned above will help to resolve difficult situations promptly so the employee’s rights are protected as well as ensuring the location’s ability to provide continuity of service. 


    Important Contact Information



    Personnel Commission 

    Classified Employment Services Branch
    333 South Beaudry Avenue, 12th Floor
    Eva Segee, Assistant Personnel Director 213-241-7830

    Special Education and Early Education Unit
    Special Education Trainees/Assistants and other related classifications and Early Education Center Aides
    Maria Underwood
    , Classified Assignments Coordinator 213-241-6319

    Stacie Foote
    , Supervising Assignment Technician 213-241-6314

    School Support Unit

    All classified school based classifications (except Special Education or Early Education) and Local District Offices 

    Loretta Cervantes, Human Resources Officer 213-241-5867

    Local Districts Northeast and Northwest:
    Debra Anglin, Senior Supervisor 213-241-6320

    Local Districts East and South:

    Kim Lee, Supervisor 213-241-6370
    Local District West and Central:
    Judy Morrison, Supervisor 213-241-6346
    Central Offices Unit
    Central Offices (including Food Services, Transportation, Custodial, and Police)

    Matthew Frohwein, Human Resources Officer 213-241-6332

    Alma Martinez, Supervising Assignment Technician 213-241-6320

    Ada Wong, Principal Assignment Technician 213-241-6390

    SmartFind Express (SFE) - automated substitute management system) 
    Help Desk Hours:  Monday – Friday7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.

    To request a Classified Substitute 866-477-3233

    To call the SFE Help Desk 213-241-7808 or 213-241-3362