Teacher Support Unit--NBC
- Please check the Guidelines page for information on Early Start hours for summer 2017.
- The LAUSD NBC Program is currently up for Negotiations. Be sure to check back regularly for updates on any changes to the program parameters.
National Board Certified Teacher Program
Certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) is one of the most significant achievements a teacher can attain. The Los Angeles Unified School District has the largest contingent of National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) within California and is committed to encouraging the pursuit of National Board certification; a major form of job-embedded professional learning, and to providing opportunities for NBCTs to grow as teacher leaders.
The National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT) Program identifies and provides leadership opportunities for NBCTs within the Los Angeles Unified School District. This negotiated agreement provides probationary and permanent classroom teachers who hold National Board Certification an additional 15% salary compensation: 7 1/2% in recognition of their certification and 7 1/2% upon completion of 92 hours of professional duties outside the normal duties and hours. Participating teachers must annually submit an action plan with their proposed activities and maintain a log of their completed qualifying activities.
- In order to be certain you are eligible for compensation for hours worked please be sure to read the guidelines for activities and documentation as posted on the Guidelines and Task Guidelines pages of this website.
- If you have questions about eligible hours please contact your NBC liaison for further information. We are always happy to assist.
- There is an annual NBC INFORMATION SESSION to describe policies and procedures for NBC compensation. Please look for offerings on the Learning Zone beginning in late July through September each year and again in December/January for newly certified NBC Teachers. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Teachers newly certified in November should plan to attend both the NBCT recognition event and the the NBC Information Session.
Annual Forms to be submitted are posted on the Forms page of the websiteEach year NBC Teachers must update their status. Both the Principal Assignment Certification and the Commitment Form/Action Plan must be submitted by all active NBC Teachers in order to be eligible to continue receiving your differential.Additional forms are to be submitted contingent on whether or not hours are being submitted or based on individual circumstances.Understanding NBC Requirements
Continuing NBC Teachers
- Review the NBC Website
- Each year NBC Informational Meetings, during which program changes and guidelines are reviewed, are held in various parts of the District. Generally this is a two hour session to be reported under Task 5. Registration is posted on MyPLN.
- Contact your NBC Liaison--
- Aleeta Powers: Local Districts Northeast, Northwest and East
- Denise Busby: Local Districts Central, South, West
Welcome Newly Certified NBC Teachers!
- Please save the following dates once they are posted for the new school year:
- UTLA Newly Certified NBC Recognition
- LAUSD Newly Certified NBC Recognition and Orientation (we will share guidelines for the 92 hours at this event)
Thank you again for your dedication to demonstrating exemplary reflective teaching practices.
- 17 18 simple facts
- important dates
Reminder: Tasks 1- 9 of the 17-18 revised NBC Tasks are approved upon submission of your Action Plan, however, you are responsible for understanding and following the posted guidelines for implementation and documentation of each Task.
Task 10 is never pre-approved--written confirmation from your NBC liaison is required prior to implementation.
LAUSD New Hire Support
Sponsored by the Teacher Support Unit
For those looking for information on beginning the National Board Certification process, looking to renew certification or looking for support in preparation for retaking one or me or more sections please visit the Support Network website for information.
Teacher Support Unit
333 South Beaudry Avenue, 14th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Phone: (213) 241-5495
Fax: (213) 241-5494