The Student Discipline and Expulsion Support (SDES) Unit is the central hub and policy holder of all matters pertaining to student discipline in the Los Angeles Unified School District. We strive to ensure fair and equitable practices in relation to expulsion proceedings and advocate for the lawful application of State and Federal laws and District policies within the entire spectrum of discipline. It is our expressed goal to provide expert guidance to schools and extensive rehabilitation services for students.
The Student Discipline and Expulsion Support Unit is the central office that oversees and provides technical assistance regarding all matters pertaining to Student Discipline in the District. The Unit is responsible for updating the District with current State and Federal laws and regulations as well as Board mandates regarding student discipline, and developing student discipline policies and procedures that ensure District compliance with due process and fair hearing requirements for suspensions and expulsions.The major functions of the Unit are to:
- Provide updated State and Federal laws and regulations, District policies, Board mandates, and legislation relating to student discipline.
- Develop District student discipline policies and procedures that are aligned with laws, regulations, rules, and mandates, including suspensions, opportunity transfers, expulsions, reinstatements, and admissions of other districts’ expellees.
- Process expulsion recommendations and admission applications by conducting State-mandated hearings, including expulsion, admission, revocation, and reinstatement hearings.
- Provide State-mandated AB 922 expulsion support services to all expelled students.
- Provide District-wide trainings to central, Local District, and school staff regarding student discipline.