SUPPORTING SCHOOLS DURING THE TRANSITION TO NGSS FOR FULL IMPLEMENTATION 2018-2019
- A draft of the new Science Curriculum Maps aligned to the California Next Generation Science Standards are now available for grades 6-8, high school biology, chemistry, and physics.
- California NGSS Framework is approved. Click here for the framework.
- Please click on this link to find out about the latest regarding California NGSS Assessment Plan.
- NGSS aligned instructional units are available:
To access the Middle School units and other recommended lessons click on the Instructional Resources for Middle School.
To access the High School units click on the Instructional Resources for High School.
- An NGSS Professional Development Module is available for science departments and grade level meetings to support the implementation of NGSS. The goal of the module is guide teachers to develop NGSS aligned units. Click on this link to access the module.
The Los Angeles Unified School District is transitioning to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS, adopted by the State Board of Education in September, 2013). Teachers are encouraged to attend professional development provided by the Local Districts and bring the materials to schools to discuss with colleagues and collaborate to explore the new standards. The focus should be on grasping the shifts of NGSS and on modifying lessons so students are engaged in the 3 dimensional learning (3D Learning) of the Science and Engineering Practices, The Disciplinary Core Ideas, and The Crosscutting Concepts.Currently, there is an NGSS interim assessment option for secondary schools transitioning to NGSS. Teachers are encouraged to try out this option or at least explore it to understand the demands of NGSS. These items were adopted from performance tasks provided by the NGSS official website www.nextgenscience.org
NGSS and Appendices
California Science Teachers Association
Concord Consortium- NSF funded projects to support NGSS implementationTeachers Try Science- lesson samples
Ambitious Science Teaching- Unit and lesson planning tool
NGSS Now- Monthly newsletterNext Generation Science Storylines- Unit planning tool