Supporting Schools During Next Generation Science Standards Full Implementation in 2018-2019
- The California NGSS Framework provides guidance on the new standards and helpful resources to make science accessible to all students Click here for the framework
- Optional Middle School instructional resources are now available here.
- Optional High School instructional resources are now available here.
- Optional Interim Assessments for Science are now available here
- Professional Development Modules: The Division of Instruction in collaboration with local districs rolled out 6 NGSS modules for secondary schools during Training the Trainer sessions with department chairs or their designees. Science departments are encouraged to engage in the module(s) that address their need. A unit planning module is also available for science departments and grade level meetings to support the implementation of NGSS. The goal of the module is guide teachers to develop NGSS aligned units. Click on this link to access the module.
At the beginning of the 2018 - 2019 school year, all Los Angeles Unified Schools will be in full implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). Teachers are highly encouraged to continue to attend professional development provided by the Local Districts and the Division of Instruction to take the learning to their schools as they explore with colleagues the daily practices of NGSS.The focus should be on grasping and applying the shifts of NGSS, most especially the phenomena-based approach, and the emphasis on the Science and Engineering Practices as part of the three-dimensional learning.
- NGSS and Appendices
- NGSS Now- Monthly newsletter
- California Science Teachers Association
- NGSS@ NSTA
- Concord Consortium - NSF funded projects to support NGSS implementation
- Phet Simulations
- Teachers Try Science - lesson samples
- Ambitious Science Teaching - Unit and lesson planning tool
- Next Generation Science Storylines - Unit planning tool
- Phenomena for NGSS
- Tools to Unpack the NGSS Performance Expectations
- Health Education Standards
- California Science Safety Handbook for Public School
- Using Preserved and Live Organisms in Science Classes
For more resources check out Elementary, Middle, and High School Instructional Resource pages