Online Independent Study Program
An Online Independent Study Program is available for families with medical, social-emotional, or other concerns. Students receive daily live online instruction for part of the day and complete independent work when not learning directly with a teacher. This program is an independent study program run through the City of Angels school, meaning students may not be learning from teachers at their current school.
Learn, Inform, Connect, Engage!
Step 1: LEARN about Independent Study and program expectations for students and families.
- Watch this video with information about the Independent Study program.
Step 2: INFORM Los Angeles Unified about your interest to participate in City of Angels by:
- Clicking here to access the Parent Portal [English, Spanish] OR
- Contacting your child’s current school to let them know to update your child's instructional program to "virtual" OR
- For students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP), please contact your current school to schedule an IEP team meeting.
Step 3: We know you are excited to CONNECT with the City of Angels.
- Teachers in the City of Angels Online Independent Study Program will reach out to schedule appointments with students and families.
- While waiting for the enrollment to be processed, students remain in their current school of enrollment.
Step 4: After meeting with your child’s teacher, write down the contact information for your teacher, including email, and stay ENGAGED, informed and communicate your needs and experiences.
Contact City of Angels
The City of Angels Virtual Academy is organized in each Local District.
To find your student’s local district information, please visit https://schooldirectory.lausd.net/schooldirectory/ and enter your child’s school of residence. If your student is already enrolled in a Virtual Academy, you can find the Virtual Academy number in Schoology and Parent Portal.
For questions about the City of Angels Virtual Academy, please contact your child's Local District.
Virtual Academy 1
Local District Central
(213) 316-9840 or
Virtual Academy 2
Local District East
Virtual Academy 3
Local District Northeast
Virtual Academy 4
Local District Northwest
(818) 821-0365 or
Virtual Academy 5
Local District South
(661) 413-0226 or
Virtual Academy 6
Local District West
(213) 320-1391 or
Independent Learning Activities
Thank you for your continued patience and support during the opening weeks of school. Throughout the week, teachers in the City of Angels Online Independent Study Program are reaching out and beginning to hold individual meetings with students and their families.
In addition to these family meetings, many online teachers are beginning to use Schoology to host live meetings with their students via Zoom and to provide individual work to students – a key component of a student’s enrollment in the Independent Study Program.
In addition to the live Zoom sessions and independent work being assigned by the teachers through Schoology, we are providing additional independent work that your child may complete as part of their daily independent study routine while you await further direction from your child’s teacher. The activities are available below.
Elementary Independent Activities:
MS/HS Independent Activities:
Elementary and Secondary Independent Reading Resources Through the Sora Digital Library Platform:
Videos About the Online Independent Study Program
Online Independent Study Program Information
Informacíon del programa de estudio independiente en línea
Online Webinar About Online Independent Study Program
Webinar en línea sobre el programa de estudio independiente en línea (Español)
Frequently Asked Questions About the Online Program
How will I know if my child is enrolled?
What grade levels are available for the Online Independent Study Program?
Will the Online Independent Study Program at City of Angels provide the same kind of instruction that was provided by Los Angeles Unified during the pandemic?
How do I sign up for the Online Program?
Is City of Angels accepting students who live outside the LAUSD boundaries?
When will City of Angels administrators and teachers contact me to coordinate registration for my child and to address my questions about the program expectations?
Will my child be enrolled in clubs and student organizations from my child’s current school if they enroll in the online program through the City of Angels?
Will I lose my current standing in magnet or other specialized programs in my current school of attendance if my student participates in the online program?
Can my family switch between online and in-person instruction within the semester?
Can my family switch from in person to online if the cases rise?
How will Special Education needs be met in an online model?
Will my student who is enrolled in the City of Angels be able to get meals?
Will I need to pick up a device from City of Angels or keep the one allocated to us from our home school?
How will dual language programs work in the online model?
If high school seniors participate at City of Angels, can they graduate with their home school or do they graduate with the online program?
If a parent has a concern with their child’s Online Independent Study Program teacher, how can they get help?
Who should a family reach out to if they change their mind about attending the Online Independent Study Program and want to go back to in-person learning?
Where can I learn more about the City of Angels Online Program?
2021-2022 Independent Study Notice
Los Angeles Unified continues to uphold high standards of health, safety, and instruction. Los Angeles Unified offers in-person instruction and independent study options to all students, including students with disabilities. A voluntary Online Program will also be available for families with medical, social-emotional, or other concerns, or who wish to have this alternative for their child. Families may find out more about educational program options by contacting their school or at goto.lausd.net. Parents (including legal guardians and educational rights holders) have the right to:
- Request a student-parent-educator conference meeting before enrollment to discuss options and enrollment procedures. Parents can contact their current school of attendance to discuss in-person and independent study options.
- Enroll their student in in-person or independent study options. All schools will be open with full day in-person instructional programs, five days a week. Los Angeles Unified will continue to follow public health guidance for student safety and will update protocols as necessary. Families may contact their child’s current school for more information about afterschool programs, extracurricular, and other activities. In addition, independent study is a voluntary option, and a parent may choose to enroll their student in independent study at any time. We are requesting families to let their school know as soon as possible, if they are planning to sign up for the Online Program for the 2021-22 school year, to assist with the written agreement that is required for independent study. Parents may submit their request through their Parent Portal account or by contacting the family hotline. Short-term independent study (under 15 school days) is still available through the school of attendance. For more information about independent study and/or the Los Angeles Unified Online Program, visit the LAUSD Online Independent Study website at https://achieve.lausd.net/onlinelearning or call the Family hotline at (213) 443-1300
- For students with disabilities, any change of placement requires an IEP team meeting for consideration of specific student’s needs and review of options. Prior to enrollment at City of Angels, an IEP Team meeting will be held at the school of attendance, to discuss whether City of Angels placement is appropriate.
- For the 2021-2022 school year, for families who chose to enroll their child in independent study, a signed written agreement must be completed no later than 30 days after the first day of instruction. A signed written agreement, known as a Master Agreement along with other forms, will include information such as the frequency of interaction between the teacher and the student, process for submitting completed assignments, communication with the parent, Prior to signing this agreement, the parent, student, and school will meet to review and finalize the written agreement.
- Families can switch at any time between in-person and the Online Program. If a parent chooses to disenroll their student from independent study to enroll in in-person instruction, that process will take no more than five instructional days from the request of the parent or legal guardian.
Independent Study includes synchronous (live online instruction) as well as time for independent work. Under Independent Study, unlike distance learning during school closures, students must complete work that is the time value of a full school day and most of this work is completed independently.
For the Los Angeles Unified Online Program, which meets all Independent Study requirements, elementary school students will have 3 hours per day synchronous instruction. Secondary school students will have three 70-minute periods each day with at least 40 minutes of direct student-teacher time per period. All students will then work independently to complete assignments.
Choose Your Language
HelpdeskFor families: (213) 443-1300
For employees: (213) 241-2700
The helpdesk is open 6 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday for any questions about Los Angeles Unified and the COVID pandemic.
Student & family wellness:
The helpdesk is open 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. Please call for support with mental health, immunizations, health insurance, food & housing, enrollment, and more.