About the New Dashboards
In support of LAUSD’s Strategic Plan, the Information Technology Division is committed to providing a quicker and easier way to accessing student, school, and district data, maximizing the District’s ability to reach our objectives and achieve success.
MiSiS Ad Hoc Reporting and Dashboards (introduced in the 2016-2017 school year) has been transitioned to a new look and feel with a new name: Focus Reporting & Dashboards. As LAUSD finishes up the transition, all dashboards released in MiSiS Ad Hoc Reporting and Dashboards will be available in both the Classic View and New View for approximately one month. Users can take this time to get familiar with the new look and feel, and to explore all the new ways data is displayed. See the images below to compare the Classic and New Views.
Available now, Focus Reporting & Dashboards (Focus) is a new web-based reporting application that strengthens LAUSD’s reporting capability by integrating major systems used in the District. In addition to MiSiS, Focus will consist of data from other systems used by LAUSD employees, like Welligent, Cafeteria Management System (CMS), and Adult Ed. During the 2017-2018 school year, new data and dashboards will be released periodically.
Like MiSiS Ad Hoc Reporting and Dashboards, Focus consists of subject-specific dashboards, canned reports, and an ad hoc reporting capability. However, Focus also provides a new user experience, with an updated look and feel, as well as improved dashboard and report functionality.
See the most common Frequently Asked Questions below, or go to the FAQs page for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get help with using the application?
For help with accessing and navigating a report or dashboard, users may contact the ITD Help Desk. For questions about the content of a dashboard, contact the owner (which can be found in the back of the dashboard user manual).
Download this job aid on how to request help with the application.
- How do I get access to Focus?
If you cannot sign into Focus using your SSO username and password, please request access using EZ Access.
Log into https://ezaccess.lausd.net and click LAUSD Employees. Then, click Focus Reporting & Dashboards to request access using the Focus Reporting & Dashboards application.
Note: Your site administrator must provide approval using the Access Approval section.
Follow-up requests regarding applications that have been submitted can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I have access, but my role recently changed and I do not see the data that I need. What do I do?
Unfortunately, you must re-apply for access via EZ Access. This is due to the fact that with a new role, you have a new supervisor and we must obtain approval from that individual for you to receive access to more data.
Please see the above question, How do I get access to Focus, for instructions on how to submit an application via EZ Access.
- What are the benefits to Focus?
Implementing the new ad hoc reporting tool will improve the experience of generating reports using data found in MiSiS. Some of the major benefits include:
- Flexibility – Provides more flexibility in ad hoc reporting at LAUSD, now allowing users to create reports at the local district and LAUSD levels if they have access to that data.
- Self-Service Approach – Eliminates the need to request new reports to be created by IT – users can create and personalize their own reports.
- Dashboards – Provides dashboards for various types of users (administrators, central office staff, school officials, etc.) consisting of the information those users need to have to succeed.
- Historical Data – After integrating with MyData, will provide the ability to produce reports on historical student data, so users can look at information on a student’s previous enrollment and course history.
- Up-to-Date Data – Data will be updated nightly; some data, such as select attendance and scheduling data, will be available in real-time.
- How do I access Focus?
Starting December 4, 2017, Focus is available via this URL: https://Focus.LAUSD.net.
- How do I navigate between the two applications?
During the transition, users who have logged into MiSiS Ad Hoc Reporting and Dashboards can access the application by clicking Focus in the dashboard menu.
In Focus, to navigate back to MiSiS Ad Hoc Reporting and Dashboards, click the Classic View button on the Welcome Page or in the navigational menu on a Subject Page or dashboard.
- What kind of training is available?
Focus includes job aids and videos that define the components of Focus and provide instruction on how to use the application’s features. To view job aids or videos within the application, go to the Job Aids and Videos section on the Welcome Page or any Subject Page (Note: job aids and videos on the Subject Pages pertain to the displayed Subject only).
The Basic Ad Hoc Reporting Class, an instructor-led training class, is available for registration in the Learning Zone. This class provides instruction on how to create and manage reports using Focus or MiSiS Ad Hoc Reporting and Dashboards, including how to perform basic calculations and create a basic pivot table.
Beginning 6/29/18, Focus Reporting & Dashboards is updated with software fixes and/or enhancements every two weeks on Friday nights. Browse the notes below to learn about all updates released since November 2016.