Embracing our diversity to educate L.A.'s youth, ensure academic achievement and empower tomorrow’s leaders. We are Los Angeles Unified.
Stories of Los Angeles Unified
10:30 AM - 1:00 PM North Valley Occupational Center 50th Anniversary Celebration
8:00 AM - 1:00 PM 5K Move It! Health & Wellness Festival
5:15 PM - 6:15 PM OLSAT-8 Parent Overview
6:15 PM - 7:30 PM GATE/SAS Parent Workshop
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM David Starr Jordan High School Mural Project Unveiling Ceremony
5:30 PM - 7:00 PM Accelerated On-Site AA Degree Orientation - PACE
February 29, 2020
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Instructional Instrumental Music Summit-Local District Central
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM Young Men's Leadership Conference -- The Road to Manhood
March 7, 2020
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Instructional Instrumental Music Summit-Local District Northeast
March 14, 2020
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Instructional Instrumental Music Summit-Local District Northwest
8:15 AM - 12:30 PM 11th Annual GATE/SAS Parent Conference
March 21, 2020
8:00 AM - 2:00 PM CollegePalooza 2020 post-secondary resource fair
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM Grades 3-12 Comprehensive ELD for PLTELs & LTELs with Disabilities
“I came to L.A. Unified to help do the work. I’m a product of public schools, and I wouldn’t be here today but for my great public education. I have committed myself to making sure children in our community have the same opportunities I was provided with. The best opportunity I was ever given was a great public education.”
-Superintendent Austin Beutner
Our District at a Glance
largest school district in the U.S. and the second-largest employer in L.A. County
employees, about the same as the Coca-Cola Company
schools and centers for student to enroll or apply
teachers who have become national board certified since 2014, tops in the U.S.
comprehensive arts programs for K-12 District-wide
Advanced Placement tests taken per year in the District
miles District school buses travel each day, enough to circle the earth twice
breakfast, lunches, snacks and suppers served daily
- Superintendent Austin Beutner shares how truly amazing we are. “Each and every school day, L.A. Unified employees work tirelessly to provide nearly 700k students with a safe, clean and welcoming learning environment.”
- The District follows strict standards to ensure its school fountains have safe drinking water. In fact, the District's efforts exceed state and federal guidelines.
- Students at Stephen M. White Middle School won a VEX robotics competition at El Camino College. The students pictured will advance to a state tournament.
- Chemistry teacher Michael Morgan at Bravo Medical Magnet was honored by the Southern California Section of the American Chemistry Society. He won for outstanding service to the section, but his teaching inspires.
- School teachers and staff dressed as emojis for Halloween at Los Feliz STEMM Magnet School. It was a great sign of solidarity and teamwork.
- “I’ve known since I was a kid that this is what I wanted to do, because I saw the difference it made in kids’ lives. I wanted to be able make an impact like that.” - Samantha Pulliam, Teacher, Union Avenue Elementary
- Manchester Ave. Elementary, served more than 500 Thanksgiving dinners. Principal Veronica Brown started the tradition four years ago, and is planning an even bigger celebration next year.
- Academic success begins with attending school every day. Let’s learn from our school leaders and hear what their schools are doing to increase attendance and engage students.
- Representatives from the Meals Services Association of Japan, which provides meals to schools, hospitals and other institutions, toured the District's Food Services program. The District serves more than 870,000 meals per day.