California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) at LAUSD
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) is a state statute that requires LAUSD to undertake specified environmental review of projects prior to approval by the LAUSD Board of Education. In April 2017, the Board of Education adopted revised LAUSD Procedures for Implementing the CEQA, which incorporates by reference the State CEQA Guidelines (California Code of Regulations Title 14, Division 6, Chapter 3, Section 15000 et seq.) As authorized by Section 15025 of the State CEQA Guidelines, the Board of Education has delegated CEQA's environmental assessment functions to Office of Environmental Health & Safety (OEHS). The Director of OEHS serves as the District's CEQA Officer.
The District acquires, constructs, leases and operates many different types of educational and support facilities. Depending on the circumstances, such activities may result in either a direct physical change in the environment or a reasonably foreseeable indirect physical change in the environment. The primary purpose of CEQA is to inform decision makers and the public about the potential, significant environmental effects of these proposed activities and identify the ways that environmental damage can be avoided or significantly reduced through the use of feasible alternatives or mitigation measures.
In addition, the District's CEQA team is responsible for monitoring the ongoing changes in the community surrounding the over 1,000 schools and other facilities that the District operates. We provide intergovernmental review of these projects on a regular basis for concerns related to the environmental health safety of students and staff.
CEQA Documents Available for Public ReviewInitial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND) for the Collins Street Elementary School Demolition ProjectThe IS/MND is available got a public review period from August 1, 2017 through August 31, 2017. A public meeting for the project will be held on August 9, 2017 at 6:00 PM at Hughes Middle Schools (Hughes Education and Career Center), 5607 Capistrano Ave, Woodland Hills, CA 91367 (Rm. 43).
Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Hale Charter Academy for Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA)
The Draft EIR for the Hale Charter Academy VAPA Project is now available for a 45-day review and comment period from July 13, 2017 through August 26, 2017. A public comment meeting for the project will be held on Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:00pm at Haynes Charter for Enriched Studies, located at 6624 Lockhurst Drive, West Hills, CA.
Final Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the International Studies Learning Center Addition Project
The EIR for the International Studies Learning Center Project was certified by the Board of Education on June 13, 2017.
- Notice of Determination
- Final EIR - Volume I - Response to Comments, Corrections & Additions, Mitigation Monitoring & Report Programming
- Final EIR - Volume II - Appendices to Final EIR
- Board of Education Meeting Flyer
- Draft EIR – Volume I – Draft EIR
- Draft EIR – Volume II – Technical Appendices
- Notice of Availability English Spanish
- Public Comment Meeting Flyer
- Public Comment Meeting Powerpoint Presentation
Initial Study/Negative Declaration (IS/ND) for the Venice High School Comprehensive Modernization
The IS/ND for the Venice High School Comprehensive Modernization was adopted by the Board of Education on May 9, 2017.Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND) for the Colfax Classroom Addition Project
The IS/MND for the Colfax Charter Elementary School Classroom Addition Project was adopted by the Board of Education on May 9, 2017.
Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND) for the Panama Street K-8 School Project
The IS/MND was adopted by the Board of Education on January 10, 2017. The Board also approved the project and a zoning exemption under separate actions.Initial Study/Mitigated negative Declaration (IS/MND) for the Olive Vista Middle School Seismic Modernization ProjectThe IS/MND was adopted by the Board of Education on June 21, 2016
Legacy High School (HS) Draft Remedial Action Plan (RAP) for Operable Unit (OU) 3
- Notice of Determination (NOD)
- Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration
- Notice of Intent to Adopt IS/ND (6/15/15) English Spanish
The IS/ND for the Legacy HS Draft RAP for OU 3 was certified by the Board of Education on February 9, 2016.
Program EIR for the School Upgrade Program
A Program Environmental Impact Report (EIR) has been prepared to address the environmental effects associated with the implementation of the District's School Upgrade Program (SUP). A link to the Final Program EIR is below. The Final Program EIR was certified by the Board of Education on November 10, 2015.
Notices of Exemption
- Final Program EIR
When a project is determined to be exempt from CEQA pursuant to Section 15061 of the State CEQA Guidelines, a Notice of Exemption (NOE) is prepared and filed with the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk office. NOEs are posted at the County Clerk’s office for 30 days.
- Eagle Rock High School Auditorium Seismic Retrofit and HVAC Replacement Project - Posted 8/8/2017
- Marshall High School Tower Repair Project - Posted 7/14/2017
- Logan Elementary School Paving and Low Impact Development Project - Posted 6/29/2017
- Porter Middle School Paving and Low Impact Development Project - Posted on 6/29/2017
- Calabash Charter Academy Paving and Low Impact Development Project - Posted on 6/29/2017
- West Valley Occupational Center Paving - Posted on 6/22/2017
- Irving Middle School Synthetic Turf - Posted on 6/22/2017
- Los Angeles High School Corwin Theater Repair and New Accessible Sanitary Building Project - Posted on 6/13/2017
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Barrier Removal Projects at Three LAUSD Campuses - Posted 6/5/2017
- Plasencia Elementary School Interim Housing - Posted 6/6/2017
- Pacoima Middle School Auditorium Voluntary Seismic Improvement Project - Posted 5/23/2017
- Robert Frost Middle School Paving and Low Impact Development Project - Posted 5/23/2017
- Chatsworth High School Paving and Replacement of Underground Utilities - Posted 5/12/2017
- Plasencia Elementary School Main Building Seismic Retrofit Project - Posted 5/2/2017
- Playa Vista Classroom Addition Project - Posted on 5/2/2017
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Barrier Removal Projects at Four LAUSD Campuses - Posted on 4/21/2017
- Portable Replacement Projects at Three LAUSD Campuses - Posted on 4/7/17
- Robert Frost Middle School Gymnasium Voluntary Seismic Retrofit Project - Posted on 4/7/2017
- Eagle Rock High School South Gymnasium Seismic Retrofit Project - Posted on 4/7/2017
- Franklin High School Competitive Gym Structural Seismic Upgrade and Interim Housing Project - Posted on 4/7/2017
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance Project at Three LAUSD Campuses - Posted on 3/24/2017
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance Project at Madison Middle School - Posted on 3/13/2017
- Marshall High School Main Administrative Building Roof Repair Project - Posted on 3/13/17
- Venice High School Lunch Shelter Removal Action Work - Posted on 2/24/2017
- Lincoln High School Gym HVAC Replacement, Pedestrian Bridge Repair, and Prop 39 Energy Services - Posted on 1/27/17
- Prop 39 Energy Efficiency Projects at Three LAUSD Campuses - Posted on 2/24/17
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance Projects at Three LAUSD Campuses - Posted on 3/1/17
- Hooper Paving and Low Impact Development - Posted on 3/1/17
- Reseda Elementary School Drainage Repair and ADA Upgrades - Posted on 2/6/17
- White Point Elementary School Paving and LID - Posted on 1/27/17
- Thomas Starr King Middle School Auditorium Seismic Retrofit - Posted on 2/6/17
- Stair Canopy Repair Project at Gulf Avenue Elementary School - Posted on 2/6/2017
- Berendo Middle School Campus Improvement Project - Posted on 1/27/17
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance Project at Eight LAUSD Campuses - Posted on 12/19/16
- Synthetic Turf Field Replacement Projects at Three LAUSD Campuses - Posted on 12/19/16
- Fries Avenue Elementary School Paving and Low Impact Development Project - Posted on 11/17/16
- Albion Street Elementary School Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Compliance Project - Posted on 11/17/16
- Fairfax High School Arts Gallery Project - Posted on 11/17/16
- HVAC Interim Housing Projects - Posted on 11/04/16
- 135th Street ES, Miller ES, Stagg Street ES - Posted on 9/16/16
- Jefferson High School Football Field Lighting Project - Posted on 8/25/16
- Green Spaces (Three Outdoor Classroom Projects) - Posted on 8/25/16
- Soil Replacement at Lorena Street and Rowan Avenue Elementary School - Posted on 8/25/16
- Widney High School Lunch Shelter and Additional Modernization Project - Posted on 8/12/16
Historic Resources Inventory
In anticipation of implementation of the School Upgrade Program, OEHS commissioned a District-wide Historic Resource Inventory. As part of this study, an updated Historic Context Statement was prepared and 55 campuses were evaluated for eligibility for listing in the National and/or state registers. LAUSD currently has over 150 schools that have been identified as eligible for listing in the National and/or State registers and over 300 more that still require historic review. OEHS has also developed procedural guidelines for CEQA compliance, which have been incorporated into the Program EIR for the School Upgrade Program, and design guidelines for the treatment of historic resources.
Preliminary Project Referral Form for CEQA & Site Assessment ReviewsHistoric Preservation Review Requests - Click here to download the FormFor more information on CEQA at LAUSD, or requests for information regarding our schools, please
- Historic Context Statement
- Historic Resources Survey Report
- Design Guidelines and Treatment Approaches for Historic Schools