High School Science Instructional Resources
NGSS Transition Resources
The Los Angeles Unified School District is transitioning to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS, adopted by the State Board of Education in September, 2013). Teachers are encouraged to attend professional development provided by the Local Districts and bring the materials to schools to discuss with colleagues and collaborate to explore the new standards. The focus should be on grasping the shifts of NGSS and develop or modify lessons to engage students in the Science and Engineering Practices, The Disciplinary Core Ideas, and The Crosscutting Concepts, otherwise known as the NGSS three dimension of learning (3D Learning).
NGSS aligned assessments are available on the LAUSD Interim Assessments Portal.
High School Science Curriculum Maps
A draft of the science curriculum maps aligned to the 3-Course Model are now available. The curriculum maps divide the performance expectations (standards) into instructional segments described in the California Science Framework (2017).
The Secondary Science Leadership Team composed of teacher leaders representing all Local Districts added instructional resources and created the curriculum maps. These maps will be living documents with improvements made over time as we collectively develop a better understanding of the NGSS. Please provide feedback by completing a google form.
Please click the following hyperlinks to access the curriculum maps:
Suggested Instructional Time
Biology of Living Earth
Chemistry In The Earth System
Physics Of The Universe
The Secondary Science Leadership Team (a group of teacher leaders) developed NGSS aligned instructional units for high school science courses:
- High School Biology- Homeostasis (Instructional Segment 5)
- High School Biology- Natural Selection (Instructional Segment 3)
- High School Biology- Sea Otter Population (Instructional Segment 1)
- High School Biology-Why Don't Antibiotic Work Like They Use to
- High School Chemistry- Thermochemistry
- High School Physics – Electromagnetic Spectrum
Resources for teacher collaboration:
- 3-D Progression (the rigor and expectations for each grade band endpoints)
- Lesson Template adapted from Ambitious Science Teaching
- Ambitious Science Teaching
- Concord Consortium
- NGSS@ NSTA
- NGSS Resources
- NGSS and Appendices
- Teachers Try Science
- Energy and Matter Across Science Discipline
Science News Magazine
Rely on integrated, dynamic science journalism and ready-to-use teaching content offered by the Society’s Science News in High Schools program to help build your next NGSS-aligned unit. Use the program’s print and digital materials to stay up-to-date with the latest scientific research, build scientific reading and writing into your curricula, and access the version of an article that meets the reading level needs of your students. Funded spots are filling up fast, so fill out the interest form to sign up your school today!
- phET simulations: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/biology
- Review of cellular structures: http://www.cellsalive.com/
- phET simulations: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/chemistry
- Review of molecular structures: http://www.chemspider.com/
- Spanish Periodic Table of Elements: http://www.lenntech.es/periodica/tabla-periodica.htm
- phET simulations: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/physics
- Animations of physics concepts: http://faraday.physics.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/Harrison/Flash/