National Board Certified Mentor ProgramSTEPS FOR NBC MENTOR MATCH-UPS, PD AND HOURSCheck the Task 1 Guidelines to determine which teachers qualify for a mentor compensated with NBC hours
STEP 1: CHECK ELIGIBILITY
- National Board Certified Teacher (be sure PAC and Commitment Form/Action Plan are submitted) or selected as a non-NBC specific Content/Subject Area Mentor
- Employed at an LA Unified school or affiliated charter
- 3 Years Teaching Experience
- Clear Teaching Credential
- Willing to serve as a mentor for New Hires, including Provisional Teachers, University Interns or Induction candidates as needed (within reasonable geographical distance from your school)
STEP 2: COMPLETE THE MENTOR APPLICATION (Every 5 Years)
NBC Mentor Application
Mentor Application for TGI and other programs recruiting National Board Teachers
- Check the Special Opportunities page for details
STEP 3: MENTOR INTEREST/AVAILABILITY FORM
Complete the Mentor Interest Form Each year.
STEP 4: MENTOR INFORMATION MEETING—MANDATORY--Task 8
Required each year as a pre-requisite for all Task 1 log submissions—Register on MyPLN
- If you are officially assigned as the primary mentor for the TGI program or ICAAP (DI) program and will not report NBC hours for mentoring any other teachers the NBC Mentor Information Meeting will be waived. You must put the email from the program confirming your assignment in the evidence section of the log.
STEP 5: MENTOR MATCH-UP
- Go to the mentor match-up form to see if there is a teacher at or near your school that you could mentor. Some assignments require a credential alike match, while others do not, check to see if you are eligible for assisting the specific teacher.
- Some programs, such as induction or intern programs may require additional selection steps such as an application to that program--see the special opportunities page for more information
- Match-ups for change of schools or under 5 years assigned at school site
- ONE NBC mentor per mentee, unless supplementary support pre-approved by the NBC office as a way to provide mandated subject alike support or same school site support
Match-ups for provisional teachers and university interns are not finalized until confirmed by NBC Office staff.
link will be provided once you complete the Mentor Availability Form
STEP 6: MENTOR!!!
Get to know your mentee and their credential status. Provide mentor support to the teachers you are working with based on their individual needs and the program they are in
STEP 7: MENTOR LOG --Monthly
- Submit the Online Mentor Log by the 5th of every month—all task 1 Mentor categories Link for Online Mentor Log is posted in the Task 1 section of the guidelines page
- You will not print the monthly logs and submit them, you will submit the one page summary of mentor hours in the evidence section of the log
- If you are officially assigned as the primary mentor for the TGI program or DI program this is waived. You must put the email from the program confirming your assignment in the evidence section of the log.
- Have mentee sign the hard copy log each month
- Follow all guidelines for specific programs for which you are mentoring
STEP 8: MENTOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT—Task 8 (see guidelines for qualified pd)
- Program Specific—check with program for details (i.e. District Intern, Induction (TGI)
- Teacher Support Program Coaching PD—Optional—see below for details
STEP 9: MENTOR LOG —Fall and/or Spring Log Submission
- Include the hard copy log signed by the mentee each month in the log section.
- Print the summary of online mentor hours to include in the evidence section--the link is in the Task 1 section of the Guidelines (waived for TGI mentors)
Filtering the spreadsheet for YOUR hours:
- Find the column that is labeled Mentor Employee Number.
- Locate your employee number
- The spreadsheet should be in order by employee number. If not, use the small arrow at the bottom right of the column title to sort a-z. Copy the rows with your20 employee number and paste them on a word processing document. Put your name and employee number at the top. This is all you need for evidence.
- Video explanation: LOOKING FOR HOURS.webm4 MB
MENTOR PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT--TASK 8
Registration on MyPLN
The LAUSD National Board Certified Coach Program is devoted to providing National Board Certified Teachers within the District with a foundation in the research informing effective coaching practice and development of skills in applying the research to a variety of coaching situations.
Our goal is to build a cadre of teachers who will have an impact on increasing student achievement through providing focused one-on-one and small group support for teachers using evidence-based strategies and the instructional coaching process. At its core, instructional coaching involves the classroom teacher and the coach examining practical strategies for engaging students and improving their learning through identification and implementation of effective teaching skills.The emphasis of this series is on developing knowledge and skills that can be applied toward implementing effective coaching in a variety of different programs.
Mentor Information Meeting
Mandatory for all NBC Teachers reporting Task 1 hours. Information will be included in a newsletter when this is available.
Information on types of permits and credentials teachers eligible for mentoring for NBC hours might have. Basic information on requirements and goals for each.
The TGI Mentor Orientation will meet this requirement if you are supporting only candidates from their program for Task 1.
Program Specific Mentor Training
Once you have been accepted as a mentor for a specific program (Provisional, Intern, Induction) they will share the expectations for their program, including mentor training.
General Guidelines for Mentor Series
- You must be willing to serve as a mentor to a provisional, intern or induction candidate if needed.
- NBC Teachers are eligible to attend only ONE series of Mentor Training per year. Registration for classes is on MyPLN. The Mentor Information Meeting is mandatory each year.
- The first session of each series is face to face and is a pre-requisite for continuing the online sessions. The following sessions are online and can be completed at any time prior to the due date (the date that shows as the class date).
1. Fundamentals of Mentoring 10 HOURS
- 1 three hour Face to Face class AND 6 three hour Online classes
- Pre-requisite: Willing to serve as a mentor
2. Special Topics in Mentoring 3 HOURS per session
- Select from the available Special Topics in Mentoring Classes that you have not yet completed
- Pre-requisite: Fundamentals of Mentoring complete
- eligible for 3 priority Special Topics Sessions in the same year Fundamentals of Coaching is completed
- eligible for a maximum of 5 sessions each subsequent year
Teacher Growth Induction Program (TGI) Mentor
- Application and Contact Information are on the Special Opportunities Page of the NBC Website
Belinda Karge Engage 11 Video