Secondary ScienceHeinrich Sartin, STEAM CoordinatorPhone: (818) 252-5448, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NGSS Information Sources
- Find the latest information on California’s implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards on the California Department of Education’s (CDE) website.
- Register for Digital Chalkboard’s NGSS Community Group. Here you will find resources for teachers, administrators, and districts that are implementing the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Achieve produces a monthly Next Generation Science Standards newsletter, which includes implementation resources, NGSS in the news, and more. You can sign up for it here.
- The California Science Teachers Association (CSTA) has a monthly newsletter called California Classroom Science. Sign up here for lesson inspiration and California-specific information.
- The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) has a NGSS@NSTA Hub website. There you can find news, curriculum resources, and other useful information. They also have a NGSS Community Forum.
- The Teaching Channel has nearly 20 videos on implementing the NGSS.
On Saturday, January 27, CSUN will host its annual open house for science educators from 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. at the CSUN Education Building. Please click here for details.
California Science Framework
The California Science Framework was adopted by the State Board of Education on November 3, 2016. A professionally edited and formatted version of the framework will be available at a later date.
- LAUSD Middle School Curriculum Maps
- Draft LAUSD Middle School Integrated Model Transtion Plan
- Setting a New Course for Middle School Science PowerPoint
CAST (California Science Test) Resources
- California Science Test (CAS) Blueprint provides educators with information about the number of items for each Disciplinary Core Idea (DCI) on the elementary, middle, and high school CAST.
- Assessment Fact Sheet Provides answers to general questions you might have about various aspects and objectives of the CAST field test.
- CAST Training Test and Scoring Guide provides sample CAST items for grades five and eight and high school. The scoring guide provides answers and scoring rubrics for items.
- Parent Guide to Understanding the California Science Test provides answers to key questions, such as who takes the assessments and why, when, and how they are administered, and other questions parents and guardians might have.
- Quick Reference Guide: How to Start a Training Test gives step-by-step instructions for educators, parents, and students to access the training test for the CAST.
- Quick Reference Guide: How to Start a Test Session gives step-by-step instructions for how to start a test session for the CAST administration.
- Informational Video An eight-minute video that provides information about the California Next Generation Science Standards and the CAST field test. http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/castpilotvideo.asp
- Science Reference Tools for Students in Grade Eight and High School Students provides CAST reference tools for students to use during online testing. The tools, which include a periodic table and a reference sheet of formulae and scientific constants, are made available to signal that students are not expected to memorize this information. They are not required to be used during classroom instruction and are not meant to guide instruction.