Upcoming Professional Developments:
- Social Emotional Learning: a 6 hour teacher professional development for Title 1 teachers grades TK-2. Title 1 teachers new to ETK can also attend. Choice of dates: August 6, 7, 8, or 9, Sept. 15, Oct. 6, 20, Nov. 3, and Dec. 1. Title 1 teachers compensated at training rate and provided with a classroom curriculum kit.
- New TK Full Day Benchmark Ready To Advance Training. Additional dates forthcoming.
Teachers will experience model lessons that build oral language, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing development through integrated literacy instruction. Teachers will experience and explore routines for designated ELD, whole group, and small group instruction.
Coming to LA for TK/ETK teachers and administrators. For reigstration and workshop descriptions click here.
TK Implementation Videos and Information: Preparing for the new year
*The TK Learning Environment: This video segment reviews methods for creating an organized and inviting TK learning environment. See TK Implementation Guide, Chapter 5 for a list of centers and what to include.
*Effective TK Instruction: This video segment introduces the importance of establishing a predictable, yet flexible daily routine. Read Chapter 4 to learn more about TK instructional strategies and how to help students understand routines and transitions.
For more on the TK Implemetation Guide and support videos, scroll down to TK Implementation Support.
For archived teacher trainings, scroll to LAUSD PD & Resources
Transitional Kindergarten provides an early childhood education program that builds a bridge between preschool years and traditional Kindergarten. TK offers a nurturing environment and delivery of instruction that is developmentally appropriate for young learners as they acquire elementary school readiness skills that not only include academics, but also focus on the development of language and social emotional skills through rich, integrated experiences.
TK Content Expectations
TK-K Alignment Document PDF Resource **
To order an alignment document click here.
TK and TK/K Lesson Design:Young children learn through integrated experiences. Each child is unique and comes with different areas of strengths and needs. TK instruction designs lessons that are integrated and allow children to build on existing knowledge to continue in his or her development. TKCalifornia.org has sample lesson templates that demonstrate how to create integrated lessons that address multiple domains/content standards and allow children to build on existing skills (whether 48 month, 60 month, or Kinder expectations.)
To learn more, please visit TKCaliforina.org>Teaching Tools>Sample Lesson PlanningA sample TK daily schedule is also provided.TK and TK/K DifferentiationTKCalifornia offers teachers professional learning and resources to guide teachers on what to consider and how to go about differentiating instruction in your TK or TK/K classrooms. Click Differentiation for the complete support and learning resources. Click on "Differentiating in TK/K Combinations" to see the instructional guide.
LAUSD Kindergarten assessments are not expected or required of TK students. TK students are building kindergarten readiness and are expected to demonstrate proficiency in all of the CA Preschool Learning Foundations by the end of the school year.
Teachers use the TK-K Alignment document to measure how students are developing along the instructional continuum from the CA Preschool Learning Foundations toward beginning Kindergarten content standards. This document aligns the expectations for children at 48 months, 60 months, and end of year Kindergarten goals. Teachers may wish to reference this document and its descriptors in parent conferences. The CA Preschool Learning Foundation volumes have bulleted examples of student expectations at the 48 and 60 month foundations.
Teachers should refer to the CA Preschool Learning Foundations vol. 1 for the ELD learning foundations and the development of early learners of a second language.
- Oral language development is an area of need for many of our young students and the foundation for all literacy skills. TK teachers have the option to use the Oral Language Screener on the Amplify assessment page to monitor oral language development in their students. To learn how to access and use OLS, please see the online tutorial at http://www.amplify.com/lausd/resources (click Oral Language.)
- Desired Results Developmental Profile-K (DRDP-K 2015) is a state assessment tool to help teachers monitor young children's learning and progress in order to plan and support students' continued development in all the instructional domains of TK to K. For more information, visit http://drdpk.org/drdpk_forms.html.
- TK teachers will still have access to DIBELS/IDEL/TRC for the puprose of demonstrating growth in skills development. TK students are not expected to meet kindergarten benchmarks during their first year in TK.
- State mandatory assessments:
CELDT: Students with a home language other than English must complete the initial CELDT by Sept. 14.
- DRDP-2015 Tech: ETK must administer the DRDP. Teachers have the option to the administer the DRDP-2015 paper/pencil or the DRDP-2015 Tech. DRDP-2015 online tutorial. Additional resources can be found at desiredresults.us.
New: TK Report Card
For more information and online modules regarding the new elementary progress reports including TK, go to tinyurl.com/newreportcard.ETK will use the DRDP-2015 to demonstrate student development and DRDP parent form during parent conferences.
Teachers should refer the California Preschool Learning Foundations for the ELD Foundations. The ELD Preschool Learning Foundations are found in the CA Preschool Learning Foundations, vol. 1.
Kindergarten Continuance Form
Kindergarten students can transfer to TK at any time during the school year in order to receive the gift of time to mature and develop social emotionally and academically. The CA Kindergarten Continuance Form is required to ensure ADA for a child's second year in kindergarten.
See REF-5777.5 Attachment D (Parental Agreement/CDE Kindergarten Continuance Form).
LAUSD PD & Resources
Learning Center Activities
aligned to the Preschool Learning Foundations and CCSS/Ca Content Standards
Ca Department of Ed TK Webcast: Transforming Early Learning to Support a P-12 Continuum
Target Audience: District Leadership, Principals, Teachers
More TK Modules coming
State and Community TK Resources and Professional Development
California Dept of Ed, FAQ Updates
TK Implementation Support:
VIDEOS: TK Implementation Guide, Sacramento County Office of Education has created a library of videos that discuss and demonstrate who the TK child is and what leadership and teachers need to consider when implementing a TK program.
Chapter 1- TK Structure & Design; Chapter 2- The TK Student; Chapter 3- Curriculum; Chapter 4- Effective Instruction in TK; Chapter 5- The TK Learning Environment; Chapter 6- Assessment & Differentiated Instruction; Chapter 7- Involving Families; Chapter 8- Supporting TK Implementation
Social and Emotional Foundations of Transitional Kindergarten, Sacramento County Office of Education
TKCalifornia.org webinars click here.
New Webinar, Jan. 2016! Planning for Play in the TK Classroom