Student Discipline and Expulsion Support (SDES)
Is the central hub and policy holder of all matters pertaining to student discipline in the Los Angeles Unified School District. We strive to ensure fair and equitable practices in relation to expulsion proceedings and advocate for the lawful application of State and Federal laws and District policies within the entire spectrum of discipline. It is our expressed goal to provide expert guidance to schools and extensive rehabilitation services for students.
The Student Discipline and Expulsion Support is the central office that oversees and provides technical assistance regarding all matters pertaining to Student Discipline in the District. SDES is responsible for updating the District with current State and Federal laws and regulations as well as Board mandates regarding student discipline, and developing student discipline policies and procedures that ensure District compliance with due process and fair hearing requirements for suspensions and expulsions. The major functions of SDES are to:
- Provide updated State and Federal laws and regulations, District policies, Board mandates, and legislation relating to student discipline.
- Develop District student discipline policies and procedures that are aligned with laws, regulations, rules, and mandates, including suspensions, opportunity transfers, expulsions, reinstatements, and admissions of other districts’ expellees.
- Process expulsion recommendations and admission applications by conducting State-mandated hearings, including expulsion, admission, revocation, and reinstatement hearings.
- Provide State-mandated AB 922 expulsion support services to all expelled students.
- Provide District-wide trainings to central, Local District, and school staff regarding student discipline.
Expulsion Appeals Process
Pursuant to E.C. Section 48919, any student expelled by the LAUSD Board of Education may appeal the expulsion, within thirty (30) days from the date of the Board’s action, to the Los Angeles County Board of Education. For questions regarding the appeal process, please call (562) 922-6234.
Isabel Villalobos, Coordinator
121 N. Beaudry Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 202-7555
Fax: (213) 580-6554
- Academic Support and Achievement Program
- A-G Diploma Program
- Commerical Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC)
- Homeless Education Office
- Specialized Support Services
- Student Discipline and Expulsion Support
Denise Miranda, Ed.D.
District Homeless and Foster Youth Liaison
District Contact: Denise Miranda, Ed.D.
For additional information on students experiencing homelessness and students in Foster Care, please visit Specialized Support Services.Address:333 S. Beaudry Ave., 29th FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017P: (213) 241-3840F: (213) 241-3305
MiSiS Help Line
Please contact the MiSiS Help Line for any issues at (213) 241-5200.
If a referral has been created by mistake and the Principal is requesting that the record be removed, please click on the link to print the required form.
Request for Removal of Student Discipline Referral(s) from MiSiS