The Peer Assistance & Review (PAR) program is based on a professional system of accountability explicitly tied to the California Standards for the Teaching Profession. It is a model program of teachers assisting teachers. Together with the administrator and participating teacher, the Consulting Teacher establishes an assistance plan based on performance goals guided by the California Standards for the Teaching Profession/LAUSD Teaching and Learning Framework. Utilizing the coaching/observation cycle (plan, teach, reflect, apply), the PAR model provides job embedded learning. In addition, professional development opportunities, instructional resources, video and audio taping, and “model teacher” observations are offered to participants.
- PAR’s purpose is to improve teacher performance in the classroom.
- PAR provides instructional support to teachers who have received a below standard evaluation, beginning teachers, and teachers who volunteer for assistance. Click on Request Teaching Support for the Request to Volunteer for PAR Services form. Teachers issued below standard evaluations are mandated to participate.
- The PAR program is jointly governed by a panel of teachers and administrators. One of the main functions of the Panel is to determine and share findings with the Board of Education regarding the participation of mandated participants.
- Successful teachers are hired through a rigorous interview process as Consulting Teachers to provide intensive one-on-one assistance to teacher participants.
- To date, the LAUSD/UTLA PAR Program has provided assistance to over 10,000 classroom teachers.
PAR Panel Members
Elaine Kinoshita, Co-ChairDivision of Intensive Support and InterventionLocal Options Oversight Committee (LOOC)Carmen EstermanTeacher, Walter Reed MS
Jacqueline LopezTeacher, Barack Obama Global Prep Academy
Helen J. CarrilloPrincipal, Belvedere MS
Elizabeth CastanedaTeacher, Loma Vista Elementary
Brian Simily, Co-ChairNBC Teacher, Woodland Hills Academy
Margaret Kim, Ed.DInstructional Director for High SchoolEducational Service Center - North
Brian Muller, Ed.DNBC Teacher, Teacher Advisor District Intern Program
Haywood ThompsonPrincipal, 54th St Elementary
Contact Information:Susan Masero, CoordinatorLaura Murphy, Specialist
333 S. Beaudry Avenue, 14th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Phone: 213 241-5501
Fax: 213 241-5498