The Peer Assistance & Review (PAR) program is based on a professional system of accountability explicitly tied to the California Standards for the Teaching Profession. It is a model program of teachers assisting teachers. Together with the administrator and participating teacher, the Consulting Teacher establishes an assistance plan based on performance goals guided by the California Standards for the Teaching Profession/LAUSD Teaching and Learning Framework. Utilizing the coaching/observation cycle (plan, teach, reflect, apply), the PAR model provides job-embedded learning. In addition, professional development opportunities, instructional resources, video, and audio taping, and “model teacher” observations are offered to participants.
- PAR’s purpose is to improve teacher performance in the classroom.
- PAR provides instructional support to teachers who have received a below standard evaluation, beginning teachers, and teachers who volunteer for assistance. Teachers issued below standard evaluations are contractually mandated to participate; to request voluntary confidential support, select the Request Teaching Support in the menu to the left.
- The PAR program is jointly governed by a panel of teachers and administrators. One of the main functions of the Panel is to determine and share findings with the Board of Education regarding the participation of mandated participants.
- Successful teachers are hired through a rigorous interview process as Consulting Teachers to provide intensive one-on-one assistance to teacher participants.
- To date, the LAUSD/UTLA PAR Program has provided assistance to over 18,000 classroom teachers.
The Program is jointly governed by LAUSD and UTLA, and provides services as described in Article X of the LAUSD/UTLA Collective Bargaining Agreement. The PAR Program further meets the requirements of CA Education Code 44500-44504.
PAR Panel Members
Elaine Kinoshita, Co-Chair
Administrator, Office of School Design Options
Brian Simily, Co-Chair
Helen J. Carrillo
Middle School Principal
Margaret Kim, Ed.D
Administrator of Instruction, Local District Northwest
Elementary School Principal
Dr. Christopher Ikeanyi, Coordinator
333 S. Beaudry Avenue, 14th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Phone: 213 241-5501
Fax: 213 241-5498