K-12 Substitute Teachers
Thank you for your interest in substitute employment with the Los Angeles Unified School District. We value all of our interested applicants and hope to provide you with the best possible customer service.The District is actively interviewing new substitute candidates at this time. Applications are valid for a period of one year.Substitute Teacher candidates who wish to serve in long-term positions must meet the minimum qualifications for full-time certificated / licensed employment and complete the current eligibility process for substitute teachers. Minimum requirements:
- A state issued teaching license including completion of a teacher preparation program with student teaching.
- An English Learner Authorization
- Authorization to work in the United States
Non-credentialed substitute candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Meeting the Basic Skills Requirment through successful completion of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) or other means (as detailed here).
- Strong references from the last three years of work experience.
- A successful interview conducted by the Certificated Recruitment and Selection staff.
- Fingerprint and health clearance.
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- All non-credentialed candidates will have a mandatory pre-service training requirement.
CalSTRS Retirees may apply for day-to-day substitute teaching. For more information on the minimum requirements and application process, please click here.
Applications are reviewed in the order they are received and according to the current needs of the District. After application review, candidates may receive an e-mail requesting additional documents, as needed. Therefore, the application process requires that all applicants have an active e-mail address.
Once substitute candidates are granted eligibility for employment, please follow our Substitute Onboarding Guide to help with the onboarding process. Please note that you must be willing to accept assignments within 10 days of your onboarding date.
The Los Angeles Unified School District intends that all qualified persons shall have equal opportunities for employment and promotion.