LAUSD is seeking qualified substitute teachers who will ensure the continuation of the instructional program in the absence of the regular teacher.
Welcome to the Certificated Substitute Unit
The Certificated Substitute Unit functions as the primary source for all certificated substitute teacher assignment activity. This site provides current substitute teachers, regular classroom teachers and school administrators information related to the requesting and assigning of day-to-day substitute teachers. Please take this opportunity to familiarize yourself with its many resources, particularly those embedded in Substitute FAQs and Substitute Teacher Resources.
Substitute Teacher Qualifications
Candidates will need to meet the following qualifications to be eligible to be a Substitute Teacher:
- Completion of a Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- A successful interview conducted by LAUSD Substitute Unit staff
- Strong references from the last 3 years of employment
- Meeting the Basic Skills Requirement through successful completion of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) or other means (as detailed here).
- Fingerprint and health clearance
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
- All non-credentialed candidates will have a mandatory pre-service training requirement of sixteen (16) hours
Retired LAUSD teachers who are in accordance with current CalSTRS regulations and meet the District qualifications above may apply to become Limited Substitutes.If you have questions regarding the application process and/or requirements, please call (213) 241-6117 or email email@example.com.
- Online Credential Renewals for District Substitutes: Please click here for information and directions.
- CTC Online Credential Application/Search: Please click here to apply for a new credential or to check the status of your application.
Extended Substitute Assignment Requests
For school personnel onlyPlease click on the form below to submit a request for an extended substitute assignment:
333 S. Beaudry Avenue,
Los Angeles, CA 90017