Eligibility and Enrollment Criteria:
Students residing within the school boundaries of a designated SAS site who meet the eligibility criteria must be placed in the site’s SAS gifted/talented program (unless a parent has opted out). All qualified students residing within school boundaries must be accommodated before any applicants from outside school boundaries are enrolled. No formal application is required for a qualified student residing within school boundaries since SAS is the school site’s GATE instructional program for its students.
All L.A. Unified students in grades Pre K–12 who reside outside school boundaries and who meet one of three eligibility criteria are eligible to apply for SAS participation for the following year. For SAS applicants, the teacher and principal of a student’s current school of attendance are responsible for determining if the student meets at least one of the three eligibility criteria.
SAS APPLICANTS MUST MEET AT A MINIMUM ONE OF THREE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- Students identified as gifted in L.A. Unified in the Intellectual, High Achievement, Specific Academic, Creative, or Leadership Ability Category
- Students who scored in the “Standard Exceeded” range on the SBAC assessment in English Language Arts and Mathematics or have TOTAL national scores of 85% or above on a District-approved standardized achievement test (e.g., OLSAT-8) in required areas (most recent year only)
- Students who demonstrate mastery of ALL FOUR of the critical thinking and problem-solving skills in their primary language which include the ability to:
- Explain meanings or relationships among facts, information or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
- Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
- Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
- Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas.
For a student to meet this criterion, verifying personnel must check “Yes” for all four skills. Applicants who are verified with the critical thinking and problem-solving skills criterion must also demonstrate the ability or strong potential to work two years above grade level in academic subjects. NOTE: Kindergarten SAS applicants must also be verified using the Schools for Advanced Studies (SAS) Kindergarten Readiness Checklist.
To ensure equity and access, each of the three SAS eligibility criteria carries equal weight in the selection process. Therefore, priority placement cannot be given to students identified as gifted/highly gifted or those who meet test score criteria. For inquiries related to gifted identification or SAS eligibility, contact Gifted/Talented Programs at (213) 241-8361.