Intra-District PermitsMay be granted for a student to attend a school in the LAUSD other than the LAUSD School of Residence. These types of permits are not processed by the Office of Permits and Student Transfers and require sign off/approval by the two LAUSD schools involved.
The intra-district permit application period is open all year long, starting on February 1st for the next school year. Permits may be issued at any time for the school year. The application can be downloaded from this website or obtained from any LAUSD school.
- 1. Intra-District Guidelines
- The parent must fill out the intra-district permit paper application and gather the required documents. Upon completion, the parent would contact the School of Residence.
- The application must be signed, stamped, and dated by the administrator at the School of Residence. If approval/sign off is provided, the parent would then take the information to the requested/desired LAUSD school.
- Upon administrative approval at the requested school, the student may register.
- Intra-district permits must be approved by both schools involved.
- If the request is denied, the parent has the right to appeal. Parents will be informed of appeal procedures by the school which denied the request.
- Intra-district permits must be renewed annually only by the requested school. Release from the School of Residence is not required annually.
- A separate application must be submitted and approved for each student.
- Intra-district permits do not carry transportation privileges.
- Students are expected to be on time and in school for the full school day.
For intra-district permit requests in or out of a Zone of Choice, the assigned school or the zone office is authorized to sign the permit application as the resident or requested school, as applicable.
Approval from the LAUSD School of Residence does not guarantee that the request will be approved by the requested LAUSD school.
- 2. Intra-District Permit Application/Solicitud de Permiso Intradistrital (From one LAUSD school to another LAUSD school)
The intra-district permit application period is open all year, starting on February 1st for the next school year.
Intra-district permits can be requested based upon one of the following reasons:
- Parent Employment
- Specialized Program
- Continuing Enrollment
- Safety and Protection
Required documents will vary, depending on the type of permit requested.
- 3. Application to Appeal an Intra-District Permit Request or Cancellation/Applicacion para Apelar una Solicitud de Permiso Intradistrital o Cancelacion de Permiso
Denials, cancellations or revocations of intra-district permits are not reviewed by the Office of Permits and Student Transfers. Intra-district permit appeals are handled by the Operations Office at each Local District.
Parents have the right to appeal the denial of an intra-district permit if they believe that an exception to district policy is warranted or that their circumstances fall within district guidelines. All appeals must be submitted in writing.
School Site Level Appeal
- The administrator will note the reason for the denial in the signature area of the intra-district permit application.
- The school will return the signed permit application to the parent and provide information on the intra-district permit appeals process and the appeals application.
- The parent must submit the completed appeals application and supplemental documents to the school site administrator within 5 school days of the initial denial letter.
- If the parent does not appeal within the required timeframe, the student will be expected to attend the School of Residence immediately.
- The school site administrator will complete the Administrator Recommendation section of the appeals application and return the form to the parent.
Local District Operations Level Appeal
- The parent must then submit the appeals form and all supporting documents to the appropriate Local District Operations Administrator within 5 school days of the denial of the date of the denial of the appeal.
- If appeal is received within the timeframe, the Operations Administrator will review the paperwork and respond to the request within 5 school days. Additional information may be requested.
- If the appeal is granted, an intra-district permit will be issued by the school.
- If the appeal is denied, the parent will be notified in writing of the reason for the denial by the school site administrator within 5 school days.
- If the appeal is not submitted within the timeframe, the student is expected to enroll/attend the school of residence immediately.
- A separate appeals application must be submitted for each student.
- The decision of the Local District Operations Administrator is the final action on the intra-district appeal request.
- Intra-district permit decisions cannot be appealed to the OPST or to the Los Angeles County Office of Education.
The appeal application can be downloaded below.
NOTE: Please refer to the updated address listing of LD Operations offices.
During the appeals process, students may remain at the current school placement pending the final decision.
For more information, please contact:
Dianna Armenta, Pupil Services and Attendance Coordinator
Permits and Student Transfer Support Line(213) 202-7547