SpEd Menu

Division of Special Education

  • Transition Resources

    Students Photo

    According to IDEA(Individuals with Disabilities Education Act):

    “Transition services means a coordinated set of activities for a child with a disability that:

    1) Is designed to be within a results-oriented process, that is focused on improving the academic and functional achievement of the child with a disability to facilitate the child’s movement from school to post-school activities, including postsecondary education, vocational education, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living, or community participation;

    2) Is based on the individual child’s needs, taking into account the child’s strengths, preferences, and interests; and includes: i. Instruction; ii. Related services; iii. Community experiences; iv. The development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives; and v. If appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and provision of a functional vocational evaluation. 5.2.2017


  • Options for After High School

After High School options flyer


Click on each of the tabs below to learn more about each option.


An educational institute that provides higher education in a specific area of study to obtain a bachelor's or associate's degree (some also offer certificate programs). 

> College Basics: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/plan-for-college/college-basics 

> Find the Right College for You: https://collegesearch.collegeboard.org/home 

Student Support Offices for Students with Disabilities: 

• Students with disabilities will find that many colleges are equipped with offices that address accessibility, accommodation, and assistive technology for a diverse range of needs and may provide specialized support in advocacy, support, and academics. 
PDF iconCalifornia State College Student Support Offices for Students with Disabilities: List of the student support offices for students with disabilities attending California State Colleges.  

PDF iconUniversity of California Student Support Offices for Students with Disabilities: List of the student support offices for students with disabilities attending University of California (UC) Colleges  

PDF iconCalifornia Community College Student Support Offices for Students with Disabilities: List of the student support offices for students with disabilities attending community college.  

Internet icon California Department of Education Transition Resources for Employment 
Resources and guidelines for educators, parents and agencies that will assist transition age youth identify and move toward their postsecondary goals in education and/or training.  




A career or technical school that provides hands-on training to earn a certificate, degree, or diploma in a variety of fields. Apprenticeships are also an option to earn while you learn. 

LAUSD provides career training through Career Technical Education (CTE) programs.  Industry professionals with years of real-world, on-the-job experience prepare CTE students for entry-level employment, career advancement, and industry certification.  

Internet icon LAUSD Division of Adult and Career Education Apprenticeships 

Internet icon LAUSD Occupational and Skills Centers 

Internet icon California Department of Education Transition Resources for Employment 
Resources and guidelines for educators, parents and agencies that will assist transition age youth identify and move toward their postsecondary goals in education and/or training.  



Abe Friedman Occupational Center imageAbe Friedman Occupational Center
1646 So. Olive St.
Los Angeles, 90015
(213) 765-2400


East Los Angeles Occupational Center image East Los Angeles Occupational Center
2100 Marengo Street
Los Angeles, CA 90033-1321
(323) 224-5970


Harbor Occupational Center image  Harbor Occupational Center
740 N. Pacific Avenue
San Pedro, CA 90731-1630
(310) 241-4800


Los Angeles Technology Center imageLos Angeles Technology Center
3721 W. Washington Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90018-1160
(323) 732-0153


Maxine Waters Service Area imageMaxine Waters Service Area
10925 S. Central Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90059-1023
(323) 357-7700


North Valley Occupational Center image North Valley Occupational Center
11450 N. Sharp Avenue
Mission Hills, CA 91345-1232
(818) 365-9645


Slauson Southwest Occupational Center imageSlauson Southwest Occupational Center
5500 Rickenbacker Road
Bell, CA 90201
(323) 729-6400


Venice Skills Center imageVenice Skills Center
611 5th Avenue
Venice, CA 90066-3512
(310) 664-5888


West Valley Occupational Center imageWest Valley Occupational Center
6200 Winnetka Avenue
Woodland Hills, CA 91367-3826
(818) 346-3540


Training and work experience are available from six service branches: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, and Coast Guard. 

> US Department of Defense: https://www.defense.gov/About/our-forces/ 

> Ways to Serve: https://www.todaysmilitary.com/ways-to-serve 



Begin working in an entry level position. There are a wealth of job seeking resources and services to assist job seekers with no-cost training, job placement, and job hunting. 

Career Exploration Websites 

• LAUSD - Division of Adult and Career Education

• California Career Zone: https://www.cacareerzone.org/ 

• CareerOneStop: https://www.careeronestop.org/ a career, training, and job search website for the U.S. Department of Labor. The website serves job seekers, businesses, students, and career advisors with a variety of free online tools, information and resources. 

• California Career Center: http://www.calcareercenter.org/ a career planning website with tools to help map your future, whether looking ahead to college, apprenticeship, the military or other options. 

• My Next Move: https://www.mynextmove.org/ an interactive tool for job seekers and students to learn more about their career options. My Next Move has tasks, skills, salary information, and more for over 900 different careers. 

• O*Net OnLine: https://www.onetonline.org/ has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more! 

• Talent Knows No Limits: http://tknl.sdsu.edu/ a California public education resource for the employment of people with disabilities. 

• Road Trip Nation: https://roadtripnation.com/ video interviews designed to help students choose career paths after listening to stories from leaders across hundreds of industries.  

•JobTIPS: an online tool designed to help student  and young adults find and keep a job. https://do2learn.com/JobTIPS/#:~:text=JobTIPS%20targets%20nearly%20every%20aspect,by%20reading%20specific%20job%20descriptions 


Employment Development Department (EDD)
https://edd.ca.gov/jobs.htm provides a range of employment and training services in partnership with state and local agencies and organizations. These services benefit job seekers, laid off workers, youth, individuals currently working, veterans, and people with disabilities. 


Search Engines for Jobs / Volunteer Positions 

Indeed.com - a free service for job seekers, where you can upload a resume, create job alert emails, search for jobs, save them and apply to them directly. 

Cal Jobs - California's online resource to help job seekers and employers navigate the state's workforce services.  

Snagajob.com - Search and apply for hourly and part-time jobs.  

SummerJobs.com – tool to find summer and seasonal positions  

Hire LA Youth - provides work experience with a comprehensive and strategic set of employment, training and support services 

VolunteerMatch.org -  tool to match volunteers with organizations seeking volunteers 

Idealist.org – a searchable database of volunteer opportunities 

Internet icon California Department of Education Transition Resources for Employment 
Resources and guidelines for educators, parents and agencies that will assist transition age youth identify and move toward their postsecondary goals in education and/or training.

  • Independent Living


California Department of Education Transition Resources for Independent Living  

Department of Developmental Services Independent Living Skills/Supported Living Services 

Foster Care Transition Toolkit

California Career Zone: Make Money Choices - Interactive tools that gives an idea of how much it'll cost you to live the lifestyle you want to live.  

Family Resource Centers Network of California: Family Resource Centers (FRC) actively work in partnership with local regional centers and education agencies and help many parents, families and children obtain information about resources and services available for individuals with disabilities.  

National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability Internet icon

Taking Charge of Your Money: An Introduction to Financial Capability

Developing Financial Capability Among Youth: How Families Can Help 


  • Outside Agencies

  • Additional Resources

DOTS teachers provide training and support in writing Individualized Transition Plans, or ITPs. The ITP is a portion of the IEP that deals explicitly with transition instruction and activities. The ITP process begins before students turn 14. Students are given an interest assessment and the ITP portion of the IEP is included.

Students and parents are encouraged to participate in the ITP process through providing information on student interests, goals and dreams as well as the student's current abilities.


IDEA 2004 states that “Beginning not later than the first IEP to be in effect when the child turns 16, or younger if determined appropriate by the IEP team, and updated annually, thereafter, the IEP must include – (1) Appropriate measurable postsecondary goals based upon age appropriate transition assessments related to training, education, employment, and, where appropriate, independent living skills” [300.320 (b) (1)].

The transition assessment process for a student is ongoing and occurs over time. Information collected is documented within a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) to support the development of identified post secondary goals in Education/Training, Employment, and Independent Living. The assessment process supports IEP teams in identifying the following information:

  • Career Interests and goals
  • Employment readiness
  • Independent living skills

Most Commonly Used Transition Assessment Methods

  • Interviews and questionnaires
  • Curriculum-based assessments
  • Direct Observation
  • Transition planning inventories
  • Interest Inventories
  • Personality or preference tests
  • Career development measures
  • On the job or training evaluations



  • Assist with chores at home, such as dishes, folding laundry and making the bed. Increasingly take over your personal care: set out clean clothes for yourself the night before, make sure you are well groomed (nails cut, hair brushed, body washed), etc.
  • Prepare for the transition to Middle School by taking a tour with classmates or parents, meeting the teachers you will have, and asking the school to find you a peer buddy who can provide support in your initial days at the school.
  • Spend at least a part of the school day integrated in a classroom with non-disabled peers.
    Have parents or teachers or another adult teach you how to shake hands properly and make eye contact.
  • Practice speaking up for yourself in class when you need help. Likewise, think of your own list of questions or concerns for you annual doctor visits and ask the doctor questions yourself.
  • Practice counting change, and begin saving money to work towards a bigger goal.



  • Increase your responsibilities at home. Assist with additional chores, supervise younger siblings, begin to practice cooking simple meals, etc.
  • Prepare for the transition to High School by taking a tour with classmates or parents. Take time to learn how credits work (it's different than middle school), and make sure you several adults you can go to if you need help.
  • Take charge of a portion of the grocery list. Plan a meal, list the ingredients, and try to find them in the store while remaining under budget.
  • Talk to the adults in your life about work. What do they do for a job? What do they like about it? What don't they like? This will help you begin to think about what you are looking for in a job
  • Practice taking public transportation with a trusted adult. Have them make you the person in charge of figuring out which bus to take and which stop to get off at. You might also find directions to a destination and give them to an adult driving you around. This can help you learn the neighborhood streets and how to get around someday when you are the one driving.
  • Begin to volunteer at a community agency or assisting a trusted neighbor on your street. It might lead to paid work, and even if not, it will give you a reference when you start to apply for paying jobs.



  • Take a class at an Occupational or Skills Center for credit. You will learn a valuable vocational skill and get to try something new. You can also take classes for free at Community colleges with your counselor's permission. Taking these classes now will save you money and help you get ahead.
  • Visit colleges and/or programs that you might be interested in attending after high school. It's great to visit these programs early (9th or 10th grade) so you have plenty of time to meet the requirements they may have.
  • Get involved in clubs or activities at school. They can help you make friends with common interests, connect you to teachers and staff who care about you, and can help develop your social skills.
  • Research careers of interest as much as possible. Look up information online. Find out what skills/experience employers look for when hiring for that job and work on developing them. Work up the courage to speak to people who have those jobs and find out more about what it is like.
  • Read and understand your IEP with the help of an adult. What is your disability? What accommodations are written in to help you? Are you getting the accommodations you need? This is a great time to take more responsibility for your education.
  • Practice interviewing skills with your DOTS teacher or an adult at home. Interviewing is a skill that takes time and practice to develop.

"Roadmap to Transition: A Handbook for Autistic Youth Transitioning into Adulthood"
 PDF icon Roadmap Handbook
A plain language handbook created to help young people with autism understand and plan for their transition to adult life.  

The Law

Section 300.347(c) of IDEA states: "In a State that transfers rights at the age majority, beginning at least one year before a student reaches the age of majority under State law, the student's IEP must include a statement that the student has been informed of his or her rights under Part B of the Act, if any, that will transfer to the student on reaching the age of majority, consistent with §300.517."

The Age of Majority in California is 18. Therefore, the student needs to be informed of their rights ON or before their 17th birthday. All educational rights will transfer to the student when they become 18. For students age 18 and older, the IEP should document how and when these students were informed about the transfer of rights.
Any required IEP notices shall be provided to the student who has reached the age of majority (age 18).
If the student is determined to be incompetent to act on his own behalf in assuming his/her rights, and a judge has appointed a legal conservator, then the rights do not transfer to the student. In this case, the IEP should indicate who the conservators are.
The state shall establish the procedures for appointing the parent of the child, or if the parent is not available, another appropriate individual, to represent the educational interests of the child.

A Word of Caution
Since any person reaching adulthood is presumed by the state to be competent, no other persons, including the person's parents may legally make decisions on his or her behalf. This is true even if a mental health agency or social service agency has determined for their own programs, that the person is mentally handicapped. An adult individual is presumed competent unless a court formally appoints someone as guardian.

Resources and Websites Internet icon
View the following websites for more information:

Conservatorship - California Courts

Guardianship - California Courts

Additional Legal Resources - Bet Tzedek 

Graduation Students with disabilities can earn a diploma or a certificate of completion. Students may earn a certificate of completion prior to receiving their diploma, as they may meet those requirements prior to meeting the requirements for a diploma.

Students with disabilities may be eligible to earn a diploma. Per District policy, students with an IEP earn a diploma if all of the following requirements are met:
• Complete required coursework;
• Earn the minimum required number of credits for their graduation year; and
• Complete non-course requirements (e.g. select career pathway, service learning)

Alternative Pathways to a Diploma within LAUSD
• There are seven types of Options Schools each serving a different type of student. You may access more information by visiting this webpage: Educational Options Program

• The Division of Adult and Career Education (DACE) offers pathways for High School Diploma, High School Equivalency, and other programs. You may access more information by visiting this webpage: Adult and Career Education

Certificate of Completion
Students with an IEP can earn a certificate of completion by meeting any one of the following conditions:
• Satisfactory completion of a prescribed alternative course of study as identified on the student’s IEP (min. credits for their graduation year) ; or
• Satisfactory achievement of his/her IEP goals and objectives during high school as determined by the IEP team; or
• Satisfactory high school attendance, participation in the instruction prescribed in his /her IEP, and achievement of the transition goals and objectives.

Students earning a certificate may continue to pursue a diploma and are eligible to receive special education services through age 22 or until the diploma is earned, whichever comes first.

Students who earn either a certificate or diploma are eligible to participate in one graduation ceremony as well as other activities related to graduation. Most students with disabilities are working toward a high school diploma. Talk to your counselor to ensure you are on track for graduation.

Note: Per CA Ed Code, 56026.1 (a) As provided in Section 300.102(a)(3)(i) of Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations, an individual with exceptional needs who graduates from high school with a regular high school diploma is no longer eligible for special education.

Transition Partnership Program (TPP) Work Experience, WorkAbility I (WAI), We Can Work (WCW), Blind Field Services (BFS) and Grantability are paid work based learning experience programs for students currently enrolled in a special education program approved by the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Student participants accepted in TPP Work Experience, WorkAbility I (WAI), We Can Work (WCW), Blind Field Services (BFS) and Grantability may be assigned to either private sector businesses or non-profit organizations and will perform a variety of duties requiring entry-level skills.

Access the linked flyers for more information about each program. 


Work Based Learning flyer English and Spanish

Work-Based Learning 

PDF icon>> English and Spanish







Workability 1 Program flyer English and Spanish

Workability I Program

PDF icon >> English and Spanish







Transition Partnership Program flyer English and Spanish

Transition Partnership Program (TPP)

PDF icon>> English and Spanish

  • DOTS Logo

  •  Los Angeles Unified School District ♦ Division of Special Education 

    333 South Beaudry Avenue, 17th Floor, Los Angeles, CA  90017