Students and Families ResourcesAttendance & Engagement
Student engagement refers to the degree of attention, curiosity, interest, optimism, and passion that students show when they are learning or being taught. Engaged students are more likely to achieve academically, attend class regularly, and stay in school. 4 out of 5 students who were absent more than 10% of the school year in kindergarten and 1st grade were unable to read on grade-level by 3rd grade. Students who can’t read on grade-level by 3rd grade are 4 times more likely to drop out of school.
PSA Counselors are dedicated to helping students and families overcome barriers to attendance & engagement by providing services such as counseling, advocacy, and referrals to resources in order to improve individual and system-wide student attendance, engagement, and achievement. In addition, we collaborate with outside agencies to assist our students and families with securing needed resources. We want your child to be an active participant in their learning process and will do whatever we can to help your family.
A Guide to Taking Care of Yourself.
- Illness or injury verified by parent, guardian or medical professional
- Funeral of immediate family member (includes anyone residing with the student): 1 day in-state or 3 days for outside the state or country
- Medical, dental, optometric or chiropractic appointment verified by written note from medical professional
- Quarantine- verified
- Exclusions by school nurse: immunizations or lice (should take one day to clean up and only one day is excused)
- Running errands for family
- Vacations or trips
- Unverified illness
- Family emergency
- Transportation problems
- Inclement weather
- Any absence without documentation or note from parent, guardian or medical professional
For the 2020-21 School Calendar.
Attendance Achievement by Instructional Day 2020-21
EXCELLENT Attendance means having NO MORE THAN 1 absence per 25 DAYS OF INSTRUCTION
BASIC Attendance means having NO MORE THAN 2 absences per 25 DAYS OF INSTRUCTION
Instructional Day Dateless than 91%Chronic92-95%Basic96-100%Excellent 25 September 23 3 or more 2 1 50 October 29 5 or more 3-4 0-2 75 December 11 7 or more 4-6 0-3 100 February 9 9 or more 5-8 0-4 125 March 17 11 or more 6-10 0-5 150 April 29 13 or more 7-12 0-6 175 June 4 15 or more 8-14 0-7 180 June 11 15 or more 8-14 0-7