• GPS Banner GPS Home About Us Students and Families Resources Educators Community Members Naviance FAQs




    Students and Families Resources

    Financing Your Postsecondary Plans

    California Dream Act Application (CADAA)


    California’s Dream Act is a set of state laws intended to lower the cost of postsecondary education for certain undocumented and non-resident students who have attended high school in California, and received a high school diploma or its equivalent. The laws include Assembly Bills (AB) 540, 130, 131 and 2000.

    The California Dream Act also allows students to apply for and receive various private scholarships funded through public universities, state administered financial aid, University grants, community college fee waivers and Cal Grants.

    Students who live in California and meet the eligibility requirements of Assembly Bill (AB) 540 or AB 2000, as well as students who have a U Visa or TPS status, can use the California Dream Act application (CADAA).


    To meet the AB 540 requirements, a student must:

    • Have attended a California high school for 3 or more years; or
    • Have attained credits in California from a California high school equivalent of at least three or more years of full-time high school coursework and a total of three or more years of attendance in California Elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of those schools.
    • Graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma
    • Registered or enrolled in an accredited California college or university
    • Have filed or will file an affidavit as required by individual institution
    • Not hold a valid non-immigrant visa

    Excepted are U visa holders and Temporary Protected Status (TPS) students


    The California Dream Act Application (CADAA) eligibility requirements are:

    • Not eligible to complete and submit the FAFSA
    • Must live in California
    • Meet the AB 540 or AB 2000 requirements and/or
    • Reside in California and hold a U Visa or
    • Reside in California with a Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
    • Complete and submit the application by March 2nd deadline


    The application for the next academic year is available October 1st.


     The California Dream Loan Program

    This program extends loans to students who meet the requirements established by AB 540 and have demonstrated a financial need. It authorizes any UC or CSU campus to participate.  California community colleges are not authorized to participate in the program.                

    Eligible students should contact their college or university’s financial aid office for more information

  •  Return Click here to return to the Financing Your Postsecondary Plans Webpage.