The Los Angeles Unified School District's Career Ladder Office is pleased to announce the Building Our Own Staff as Teachers (BOOST) program. BOOST is funded by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing's California Classified School Employee Teacher Credentialing Program, which provides up to $4,000 per participant per school year from 2017-2022. The Career Ladder was awarded funding for 45 participants to obtain teaching credentials.
BOOST Participants may be any classified staff who has completed a minimum of 60 semester units in college or an Associate of Arts degree and would like to obtain a teaching credential in a District identified high need teaching area. Currently, Special Education, Physics, Chemistry and Bilingual Education.
In 2022, the BOOST program was renewed for 100 members and now includes Transitional Kindergarten as an area of need.
Building Our Own Staff as Teachers (BOOST) is now accepting applications!
The Career Ladder is pleased to announce that there are some spaces available in the BOOST (Building Our Own Staff as Teachers) grant program.
BOOST Participants may be any classified staff who has completed a minimum of 60 semester units in college or an Associate of Arts degree and would like to obtain a teaching credential in a District identified high need teaching area. Currently, Special Education, Physics, Chemistry, Transitional Kindergarten or Bilingual Education.
- Mentoring and guidance on credentialing requirements and teacher preparation programs
- Financial assistance up to $4,000 a year for:
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Test Fees
- Test Preparation Assistance
- Other Credentialing Expenses
BOOST is funded by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing: Classified Teacher Preparation Grant. The current grant award provides funds for July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2027.
Congratulations and welcome to BOOST!
An annual Mentor Meetings is required for all BOOST members to update progress towards a credential and determine next steps on your Individualized Mentorship Plan (IMP). Click here to schedule your Mentor Meeting.
Thank you for your patience. New BOOST forms are now available on the Career Ladder Forms page.
The annual BOOST allowance is $4,000 for credentialing expenses. Current allowable expenses include:
- Tuition Reimbursement (Courses must be passed with a grade of B or better, $200/semester unit for university courses & $40/semester unit for community college courses)
- Textbooks - Reimbursement only
- Credential Test Fees (CBEST, CSET, RICA, US Constitution) - Vouchers available
- Test Preparation courses or materials - Enrollment available for TeachersTestPrep.com and LAUSD's Subject Matter Preparation courses, all others reimbursement only
- Technology Reimbursement (up to $500 annually)
- Commission on Teacher Credentialing Fees - Reimbursement only
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation - Reimbursement only
BOOST Test Preparation Enrollment - See the table below for a list of courses
There are four Classroom Experiences (CEs) for each BOOST member to complete. Classroom Experiences (CEs) are to be completed sequentially and submitted one at a time. A minimum of one CE must be completed each academic year, but there is not a limit as to how many may be completed in a year.
- Classroom Experience #1 - Classroom Environment
- Classroom Experience #2 - Planning and Preparation (Now Available)
- Classroom Experience #3 - Additional Professional Duties (Now Available)
- Classroom Experience # 4 - Delivering Instruction (Coming Soon)
Dr. Bryan Johnson
(STEP UP and Teach)
333 S. Beaudry Avenue,
Los Angeles, CA 90017