Dual Language Programs for 2018-2019
Dual Language Early Learning Pilot Programs
A 50:50 Dual Language early education pilot program implemented in ten sites last year will continue through 2018-2019 school year. The program is a split day model (50% Spanish or Korean; 50% English – mornings all Spanish or Korean, afternoons all English) or vice versa. The teachers maintain the target language following the 50/50 model and “switch” at half day. There will be a thematic connection across the Spanish/Korean and English portions of the curriculum, with intentional planning about what will be done in which language. Other defining characteristics for successful dual language preschool programs include:
- Young children’s choice of language is allowed so they can express themselves
- Children’s “code-switching” is not a problem
- A language based environment that is fun and developmentally appropriate for very young children
- Thematically related but different material is covered in each language
- Scaffolding comprehension, use of visuals and movement to support comprehension.
- Positive climate/culture affirming the value of bilingualism and celebrating children’s developing skills
- Parents are encouraged about the importance of developing the home language, using their strongest language with their children, actively engaging in supporting home language development through talking, storytelling, singing, asking questions and eliciting their children’s “voices” in the home language.
SCHOOL Phone No.
GRADES LANGUAGES Eastman ES 323.269.0456 EAST ETK English/Spanish Gates Early Education Center 213.222.0277 EAST Pre-K English/Spanish Nevada ES 818.348.2169 NORTHWEST ETK English/Spanish Grand View ES 310.390.3618 WEST ETK English/Spanish Montara ES 323.567.1451 EAST ETK English/Spanish Gledhill Early Education Center 818.895.2491 NORTHWEST Pre-K English/Spanish Vista Del Valle ES 818.838.3860 NORTHEAST CSPP & TK English/Spanish Denker ES 310.327.9420 SOUTH ETK/PCC English/Korean