Teacher Assistant Unit
Beginning July 1, 2017, the Human Resources Division is responsible for the hiring, processing and assignments of new and continuing Teacher Assistants. Prior to this date, the function was performed by the Personnel Commission.
Therefore, as of July 1, 2017, all inquiries regarding Teacher Assistants should be directed to the Human Resources Division at (213) 241-4980 or via email at email@example.com.
Questions about current Teacher Assistants should be directed to the Teacher Assistant Assignment Technician assigned to the Local District as follows:
LOCAL DISTRICT ASSIGNMENT TECHNICIAN CONTACT E-MAIL ADDRESS CONTACT PHONE NO. LD Central and LD South Richelle Harris firstname.lastname@example.org (213) 241-8940 LD Northwest and LD Northeast Marina Monico email@example.com (213) 241-4938 LD East and LD West Gina Robles firstname.lastname@example.org (213) 241-8941
Note: This reference is for the Teacher Assistant job class only; all other classroom assistants, (i.e., Special Education Trainee/Assistant, Early Education Aide, Instructional Assistant, etc.) remain the responsibility of the Personnel Commission.
Teacher Assistant Application Process
Interested in being a Teacher Assistant (TA)?
If you meet the minimum qualifications and are enrolled in college*, apply directly to the school sites. Teacher Assistant vacancies are posted on the vacancies page. Apply directly to the school sites as requested. Once selected by a school site, the school will schedule you for employment processing.
Be sure that all documents used for proof of qualifications are original with names matching exactly (including middle name, additional surname or suffixes) to all identification documents that will be used for processing.
Teacher Assistants must present a completed Application for Issuance of Teacher Assistant Certificate which requires verification of enrollment in college.* In addition, TAs must maintain continuous college enrollment and meet unit completion requirements to remain employed as a TA. See Teacher Assistant College Enrollment and Unit Completion Verification section for more details.
*California-based institution/organization must have accreditation from a District accepted accrediting agency and current enrollment and course work must be certified as counting toward a baccalaureate degree and teacher credential.
Teacher Assistant Qualifications
Teacher Assistants must meet the minimum qualifications listed below for paraeducators hired after January 8, 2008.
TEACHER ASSISTANT QUALIFICATION
MAY BE MET BY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Instructional Assistance Test
- 48 Semester or 72 Quarter Units*
- Associate Degree or higher*
- Foreign Bachelor's Degree evaluated by an Approved Organization*
- District Proficiency Examination (DPE)
- California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST)
- Bachelor's Degree from a US Accredited Institution or higher*
High School Graduation
- High School Diploma, Official Transcripts or Verification Letter*
- General Education Development Certificate (GED)
- High School Equivalency Test (HiSET)
- Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE)
- Associate Degree or higher*
*Institution/organization must have accreditation from a District accepted accrediting agency and current enrollment and course work must be certified as counting toward a baccalaureate degree and teacher credential.
Teacher Assistant College Enrollment and Unit Completion Verification
Human Resources (HR) will be responsible for the monitoring of the Teacher Assistant (TA) college enrollment and unit completion verification. HR is working closely with ITD to develop an automated system that will allow TA's to provide verification directly to HR. Please note as seniority lists for TA's are site based, it is important to have records readily accessible to develop the list for your location. This automated system is expected be in place in the next few months. Verification will be requested twice a year. To give the Teacher Assistants an opportunity to register for and begin courses for each term, the required verification will be requested later in the term to allow for the various college calendars to begin (dates to be determined). In order to comply with Article VIII of the Unit F Union Contract (Pg. 18 -21), the following is the contractual obligation for course completion:
For Degree-Track Teacher Assistant Requirements: (All TAs hired on or after January 28, 1991)
- Maintain continuous enrollment in college courses.
- Successfully complete 12 qualifying college semester/quarter units each school year (July 1 – June 30).
- Submit acceptable evidence of enrollment at the beginning of each semester/quarter.
- Submit transcripts or a grade report from the college verifying completed courses from the previous school year.
For Non-Degree Track Teacher Assistant Requirements: (TAs active prior to January 28, 1991 and Degree-Track TAs who hold at least a preliminary-level teaching credential)
- Maintain continuous enrollment in and successfully complete a college course directly related to the employee’s service to the District. These courses must be for the purpose of increasing the employee’s knowledge, understanding and skills related to the employee’s employment by the District.
- Submit acceptable evidence of enrollment at the beginning of each semester.
- Submit transcripts or a grade report from the college verifying completed courses each term.
STEP UP and Teach
The Career Ladder's Supporting Teacher Education, Preparation and Undergraduate Programs (STEP UP and Teach) offers assistance and guidance to paraeducators, including Teacher Assistants who wish to pursue a teaching credential.
For more information on services offered, required qualifications, and how to apply, please visit http://achieve.lausd.net/STEPUP.