Permits and Student TransfersUPDATE AS OF JUNE 12, 2020:
The on-line OUTGOING inter-district permit application (From the LAUSD TO Another School District) closed on April 30th. Only permits based upon parent employment will be processed at this time. If you do not work within the district that you are requesting, please contact the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) for appeal paperwork at (562) 922-6301 or
The on-line INCOMING inter-district permit application (From Another School District TO the LAUSD) remains open.
NOTE: Timelines had been waived due to the closure of all LAUSD schools and stay-at-home orders. They are currently being reinstated in order to facilitate the appeals process. If your initial permit application was denied, you have 14 days from the date of the denial to submit your appeal paperwork to the LAUSD Appeals Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the summer months, staffing will be modified and therefore, we appreciate your patience and understanding as we move forward.The California Education Code Ssections 466000 allows for the transfer of students to another district for any grades from transitional kindergarten/kindergarten through 12 under conditions specified by the policy of the board.The LAUSD Inter-District attendance policy was updated as a result of the great strides in improving educational options for students. The District has also made a considerable capital investment in building new schools and renovating hundreds of existing schools.
LAUSD educational options include but are not limited to:
• Small Learning Communities
• California Distinguished Schools
• Magnet Programs
• Affiliated Charter Schools
• Public School Choice Schools
• Open Enrollment Transfers
• Schools for Advanced Studies• Dual Language and Bilingual Programs• Zones of Choice
• Open Enrollment Romero (SB X5 4)-1,000 low achieving schools:Due to the transition to the new California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress system, the calculation of the 2015 Growth and Base and 2016 Growth APIs are suspended. With the absence of a 2016 API score, the California Department of Education (CDE) cannot produce an Open Enrollment list for the 2017–18 school year.For a complete listing, please refer to E-Choices at echoices.lausd.net.
*If you live within the boundaries of LAUSD and want to request a permit to attend another school within the boundaries of the LAUSD, you DO NOT need to fill out an online application. A permit application is available at all schools. It must be signed and approved both by the school of residence and the requested school. If your permit is denied by either school, an Intra-District Appeal can be filed with your local District Operations.
ONLINE INTER-DISTRICT PERMIT (From one SCHOOL DISTRICT TO Another SCHOOL DISTRICT)Permit Application Period is: February 1st - April 30th Annually
- All requests are processed in the order received.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- You will receive a response by email (or mail if no email is provided); check your junk or spam email folders.
- Safari is not compatible with our system. It is recommended that you switch your internet browser to Firefox, Google Chrome, or Internet Explorer.
- Appeals will only be accepted if postmarked within 14 calendar days of date on your denial letter.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Permit processing may be delayed during summer (June, July & August) due to limited staffing.
- TERMS: Terms and Conditions of applying for a permit.
PLEASE NOTE: Students who have a valid inter-district permit to attend a specific school may continue attendance in that same school without the need to re-apply annually to the district of residence or attendance. When the student matriculates, or there is a change of school placement, a new permit is required from the District of Residence. (AB-2444, http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=200920100AB2444)
INCOMING INTER-DISTRICT PERMITS:OUTGOING INTER-DISTRICT PERMITS:INTER-DISTRICT PERMIT APPEAL/APELACIONES DE PERMISOS INTER-DISTRITALES
About UsWhat's NewPrograms and Services