Group Home Scholars ProgramProgram Description
The Group Home Scholars Program is a federally funded program designed to support students in out-of-home care and/or who are under the jurisdiction of the Department of Probation. The Group Home Scholars Program works as a multidisciplinary team to ensure that all students within the LAUSD have equal access to an appropriate education and a brighter future. The program provides instructional and counseling support services to students in LAUSD who reside in group homes and/or are on probation and are transitioning from juvenile detention centers. Staff are housed in selected schools, hospitals and shelters, as well as, in our Local District Offices and Central Office.
- Extended Day Tutors provide academic tutoring and Pre/Post testing to measure progress for students in participating group homes
- Teacher Assistants support teachers at participating school sites, shelters and hospitals
- Pupil Services and Attendance Counselors provide individual/group counseling; case management; transition planning; school placement services; referrals to District/Community Resources; linkage between group homes, DCFS/Probation, schools and families; training on guidelines and policies for students in out-of-home care
- Counselor Aides provide vocational/employment linkage and college preparation support
- To improve academic achievement
- To ensure successful transition of students from camps to schools
- To ensure successful transition of students from high school to post secondary education and/or employment
- Dropout prevention
- To engage caregivers, parents and community partners in the educational process
- Academic Support and Achievement Program
- A-G Diploma Program
- Commerical Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC)
- Homeless Education Office
- Specialized Support Services
- Student Discipline and Expulsion Support
Denise Miranda, Ed.D.
District Homeless and Foster Youth Liaison
District Contact: Denise Miranda, Ed.D.
For additional information on students experiencing homelessness and students in Foster Care, please visit Specialized Support Services.Address:333 S. Beaudry Ave., 29th FloorLos Angeles, CA 90017P: (213) 241-3840F: (213) 241-3305