Foreign Student Admissions OfficePlease note:
Applications for the Spring 2019 Semester will be accepted after September 15th.
The application deadline is November 15th.
Applications for the 2019-2020 school year will be available after February 2019.
The Foreign Student Admissions Office strives to enrich the educational environment of LAUSD by supporting and advancing the recruitment, admission and enrollment of eligible international students into LAUSD schools.
PurposeThe Foreign Student Admissions Office is responsible for the admission, processing and tracking of international secondary students on J1 and F1 VISAS on behalf of the Los Angeles Unified School District. This office obtains authorization for students to attend a Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Certified high school on an F-1 student visa or J-1 exchange visa. The LAUSD is authorized by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to issue I-20 documents to prospective F-1 students. Additional Information is available in the following brochures:
- Getting Students Ready to Enter the United States Updated form attached
- Public Grade 9-12 Student Life Cycle (F-1)
- FSAO FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
- LAUSD SEVP Certified Schools - Currently, the LAUSD has 38 SEVP certified schools. The number of available spaces may vary by school, grade, and program. Not all SEVP certified schools will be able to accept students at the time of request. Please contact the Foreign Student Admissions Office for more information.
International students may only attend a public secondary school (grades 9th-12th) for a maximum of twelve months. (Section 625 Public Law 104-208, effective November 30, 1996). They must also pay the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of attending the school district. Unfortunately, the LAUSD is unable to offer financial assistance, scholarships or tuition discounts.The LAUSD observes all laws of the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement regarding visa students. For more information:
U.S. State Department Visa Information
NOTICE: Please note that the Los Angeles Unified School District Foreign Student Admissions Office cannot provide students with legal advice or guidance on immigration related issues. We encourage all international students to enroll full-time and obtain the appropriate F-1 or J-1 student visa.
Students, parents and guardians may wish to contact the U.S. State Department, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement Agency or an immigration attorney for additional information. Information is available at these U.S. Government websites: http://www.ice.gov/sevis ,Agency Information: Registry Requirement For Placement Agencies
International Student Placement Agencies must be currently registered with the State of California, Department of Justice prior to placing students within the LAUSD. A registry list is maintained by the Attorney General’s Registry of International Student Exchange Visitor Placement Organizations (ISEVPO) and is updated annually. For more information, please refer to the State of California website at http://oag.ca.gov/exchangestudents
Agencies must complete an application and submit the requested documents, including proof of annual ISEVPO registration, in order to be considered as an approved organization. The LAUSD Foreign Student Admissions Office (FSAO) will only consider applications for international students who are placed by agencies on our approved list. Students hosted by a family member or relative are not subject to the agency requirement.
If you are interested in applying for LAUSD Agency approval, please download the appropriate application and submit the required documentation.
F-1 Agency Application
J-1 Agency Application
The following agencies have been approved to place students within the LAUSD for the 2018 calendar year. (updated August 22, 2018)
- AFS-USA, Inc.
- American Cultural Exchange Service (ACES)
- ASSE International, Inc.
- Bridge to U.S., Inc.
- Council for Educational Travel United States of America
- Council on International Education Exchange, Inc. (CIEE)
- Cultural Homestay International
- Educatius, Inc.
- EF High School Exchange Year/EF Education Foundation for Foreign Study
- Greenheart International dba CCI Greenheart
- International Academic Cultural Exchange, Inc. (IACE)
- International Cultural Exchange Services (ICES)
- International Student Exchange, Inc.
- JC International Academy, Inc.
- Quest International
- SLB Consulting Corporation dba Exchange Service International (ESI)
- Twinsen, Inc.
- United Cultural Exchange U.S.A.
- UCEUS Corp.
- WEP-USA, LLC
- About Us
- Attendance Campaign
- Programs and Services
- What's New