CHAMP - Health Insurance Eligibility & Enrollment
Provides requirements and guidelines necessary for enrollment of children, youth and/or parents into health insurance programs.
Health Insurance Program Information
The California Medical Assistance Program (Medi-Cal or MediCal) is California Medicaid welfare program serving low-income individuals, including: families, seniors, persons with disabilities, children in foster care, pregnant women, and childless adults with incomes below 138% of federal poverty level.
In California, each county administers the Medi-Cal Program, i.e. determine the awarding of benefits. If you have been assisted by a CHAMP Team during the application process and receive a mailing from the LA County Department of Social Services, please call the CHAMP HELPLINE and consult with a CHAMP team member. Staff are trained to walk you through all mailings the County sends to applicants. Such mailings are often called “Notice of Action”.
If you are enrolled in one of the following programs, you can also get Medi-Cal:
• CalFresh • SSI/SSP • CalWorks (AFDC) • Refugee
• Foster Care or Adoption Assistance
ProgramTo see if you qualify based on income, look at the chart below.Income numbers are based on your annual - or yearly - earnings.
2016 - 2017 Family Size <138% Poverty Level 1 16,395 2 22,108 2 Adults 22,108 3 27,821 4 33,534 5 39,248 6 44,961 7 50,688 8 56,429 9 62,169 10 67,910 11 73,651 12 79,392 Each Additional Person Add 5,741To link to the State’s Medi-Cal homepage, please click here: California Medi-Cal InformationTo link to LA County’s Medi-Cal homepage, please click here: LA County Medi-Cal InformationKaiser Permanente Child Health ProgramYour child/children are able to participate in the Kaiser Permanente Child Health Program if they are uninsured and:• Live in a Kaiser Permanente service area
• Are under the age of 19
• Live in a household with an income of up to 300% of the federalpoverty level (for example:$72,900 for a family of 4 per 2016 guidelines) and• Do not have access to any other health coverage, including, but notlimited to:o Medi-Cal (covers children in households with incomes between0-266% of the federal poverty level)o Medicareo A job-based health plano Coverage through Covered CaliforniaYou do not have to be a U.S. citizen for your child/children to qualify for the Child Health Program.Click here for more information about the Kaiser Permanente Child Health ProgramCovered CACovered California is the health insurance marketplace in the U.S. state of California. Because of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), the exchange enables individuals and small businesses to purchase health insurance at federally subsidized rates.Health insurance premiums through Covered California are based on an enrollee’s age, where they live (their ZIP code), their household size, their projected household income, and the health plan and benefit level they select.Covered California uses the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) to determine eligibility for financial help and programs such as Medi-Cal. These levels, set each year by the federal government, take into account the individual’s annual household income and household size.Under the Affordable Care Act, most individuals who are U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals or lawfully present immigrants are required to have health coverage. There is a tax penalty — known as the “shared responsibility payment” — for those who do not have health coverage and do not qualify for an exemption.Lawfully present individuals in the United States generally include:• U.S. citizens and U.S. nationals.
• Lawful permanent residents or (“green card holders”).
• Lawful temporary residents.
• Persons fleeing persecution, including refugees and asylees.
• Other humanitarian immigrants, including those granted temporaryprotected status.
• Non-immigrant Status holders (including worker visas and studentvisas).
- What's New
- Healthy Start Program
- Children's Health Access and Medi-Cal Programs (CHAMP)
- Community Partners
- CHAMP and Healthy Start Calendar
- Wellness Centers
- Health and Wellness Fitness Channel
Walk 2 Wellness - Highlights
Warm-Up With Static & Dynamic Stretches
Walk 2 Wellness - Highlights
- Blueprint for Wellness Policy