The mission of the Mathematics Branch is to implement a balanced instructional program that provides ALL students with the opportunities, experiences and resources to be successful. The expectation is that ALL students will become proficient in basic computational and procedural skills, develop conceptual understanding, and become adept problem solvers.
The goals of the Mathematics Program are twofold:
- To implement a coherent, district-wide content and standards driven mathematics plan.
- To provide instructional and professional support to local districts and school sites, so that ALL students will achieve proficiency in Algebra 1 and more advanced mathematics courses.
These goals are supported strategically through four program components:
- The development and use of grade specific instructional units.
- The use of teacher experts, school site coaches and local district leadership to guide professional development.
- The use and analysis of formative periodic assessments.
- The use of assessment data to focus and implement immediate intervention where students most need help.