Schoolwires Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

To locate your LAUSD school of residence, use the School Finder.

If the school is not in your neighborhood, there are several enrollment options:

Choices Program
Residents of the LAUSD may participate in the Magnet, Permits with Transportation (PWT) and Public School Choice (PSC) Programs. Visit the Student Integration Services website for more information.

School For Advanced Studies (SAS)
These District programs are designed for students identified as gifted, highly gifted, and/or students who demonstrate superior academic achievement with appropriate documentation. Visit the Gifted/Talented Programs Office website for more information.

Open Enrollment
Schools with designated available seats will accept applications during May. In schools where applications exceed space, a random drawing will be held in June.

Charter Schools
Charter schools are public schools with an innovative, rigorous standards-based and standards-aligned curriculum authorized by LAUSD and approved by the State of California. To apply, contact the school directly. Visit the Innovation and Charter Schools Division website for more information.

Presently, a child may enroll in kindergarten if he or she will turn five on or before December 2 of the year of registration.

LAUSD and Los Angeles County Health Department regulations require that complete health and immunization records for incoming kindergarteners and students new to the district must be presented in written form and authorized or signed by a public health clinic, health care provider or private doctor before a student can begin attending classes. The health records should be brought when parents come to pre-register their children for the new school year. There is no grace period: all immunizations must be up to date before a youngster can attend school. Parents with additional questions may contact the school or call School Nursing Services, (213) 763-8374.

This program allows parents to apply for designated "open enrollment" seats at specific campuses. In recent years, the number of available seats has declined steadily. The application process typically occurs during May for the following school year. A list of the schools with open enrollment seats is usually available in the main office of any school, beginning in late April or early May. Also check the LAUSD website for periodic announcements.

There is no limit on the number of schools to which a parent/guardian may apply for open enrollment. If the number of applications received at a school is less than the number of available seats, all the students who applied are invited to enroll. If the applications are greater than the number of seats, a drawing is held to determine the students' given seats. Schools that still have space available after the deadline usually will be able to register open enrollment students up to the second Friday of the school calendar for that campus.

Parents can contact Gifted and Talented Programs at (213) 241-6500 or visit their website.

If you attended school up to the year 1999, please follow these procedures to obtain a transcript. Please send a written request to the:

Student Records
P.O. Box 3307
Los Angeles, CA 90051

An official form to request Transcripts is available on the bottom of the page.

The request should include:
The correct spelling of your name while attending school
Date of birth
Place of birth
Name of school attended
Date graduated if applicable
Driver's license number or social security number for ID
Money order payable to Los Angeles Unified School District
Name of parents
Sign and date the request

If you have questions or need information regarding pricing, please call Student Records at (323) 224-5950 or visit the website for Transcripts (Student Records Unit).

Official Transcript Request Form