Middle School Science NGSS Implementation
Los Angeles Unified School District has selected the Integrated Model published in the CA NGSS Framework for science middle grades. An interOffice Correspondence was sent to all schools to guide and support the implementation. All LAUSD middle schools are implementing the new integrated courses for science. Click on this link to download the standards:The California Next Generation Science Standards- Preferred Integrated Model.
The rigor and expectations of the three dimensional learning of NGSS for each grade band endpoints are well defined. It is of great importance that teachers use the progression document as they are planning thier instruction.The Performance Expectations for each of the above courses can be found in the CA Framework or at bit.ly/lausdngss
Units - driven by students developing a model and/or explanation of a phenomenon, or driven by a problem for students to solve
- science.lausd.net - Curriculum Maps and Sample Units
- Stanford SCALE NGSS Curriculum
- Geniverse - Explore heredity and genetics by breeding and studying virtual dragons.
- teach.genetics.utah.edu and learn.genetics.utah.edu Units need an anchoring phenomena or an anchoring problem to solve.
- Maryland Loaner Lab Units for Middle SchoolFlipside Science (CA Academy of Sciences) Units may need an anchoring phenomena.
- Flipside Science (CA Academy of Sciences) a youth-powered series that tackles complex environmental topics and empowers students to make a difference.
- Ideas for phenomena
Lessons - to be strategically placed within unit arcs, to empower students to develop explanations of phenomena and/or solutions to problems
- Google Science Journal Take out your cell phones, tablets and chromebooks and use the sensors to do science.
- High-Adventure Science (Earth and Space Science lessons and units which need some NGSS aligning and adapting)
- GEODE Transforming geoscience education with interactive models for exploring plate tectonics.
- EarthLabs (needs to be adapted to NGSS)
Assessment and Assessment Guides
- Optional LAUSD Interim Assessments for Science are available here
- NGSS Evidence Statements
- CAST (CAlifornia Science Test)
- NGSS Assessment Database and NGSS 3D Assessment Implementation Modules
- SNAP (Stanford NGSS Assessment Project)
- The Division of Instruction, in collaboration with local districts, rolled out 8 NGSS modules for secondary schools during Training the Trainer sessions with department chairs or their designees. Science departments are encouraged to engage in the module(s) that address their need. A unit planning module is also available for science departments and grade level meetings to support the implementation of NGSS. The goal of the module is guide teachers to develop NGSS aligned units. Click on this link to access the module.