High School Science NGSS ImplementationThree-Course ModelThe Division of Instruction has selected the 3-Course Model from the California Science Framework 2017 for High Science Instruction. Use this link to access the Inter-Office Correspondence regarding the Implementation of High School Next Generation Science Standards Courses.The 3-Course Model as presented by the California Science Framework - Chapter Seven consists of:Biology of Living Earth AB 360737/38 Integrating Biology and Earth ScienceChemistry in the Earth System AB 361413/14 Integrating Chemistry and Earth Science
Physics Of The Universe AB 361531/32 Integrating Physics and Earth ScienceThe Performance Expectations for each of the above courses can be found in the CA Framework or at bit.ly/lausdngssThe rigor and expectations of the three dimensional learning of NGSS for each grade band endpoints are well defined. It is of great importance that teachers use the progression document as they are planning their instruction.The order of the listed courses does not reflect an LAUSD recommendation for sequencing the three courses. It reflects the order the 3 courses are listed in chapter 7 in the CA Framework.
Units - driven by students developing a model and/or explanation of a phenomenon, or driven by a problem for students to solve
- science.lausd.net - Curriculum Maps and Sample Units
- Geniverse - Explore heredity and genetics by breeding and studying virtual dragons.
- see.systemsbiology.net/modules Units may include an anchoring problem for students to solve and others may need a anchoring problem or phenomena.
- teach.genetics.utah.edu and learn.genetics.utah.edu Units need an anchoring phenomena or an anchoring problem to solve.
- Maryland Loaner Lab Units for High School Units may need an anchoring phenomena or an anchoring problem to solve.
- Flipside Science (CA Academy of Sciences) a youth-powered series that tackles complex environmental topics and empowers students to make a difference.
- EarthLabs Units need an anchoring phenomena or an anchoring problem to solve.
- Ideas for phenomena (anchoring and investigative)
Lessons - to be strategically placed within unit arcs, to empower students to develop explanations of phenomena and/or solutions to problems
- Google Science Journal Take out your cell phones, tablets and chromebooks and use the sensors to do science.
- High-Adventure Science (Earth and Space Science lessons and units which need some NGSS aligning and adapting)
- EarthLabs (needs to be adapted to NGSS)
Assessment and Assessment Guides
- Optional LAUSD Interim Assessments for Science are available here
- NGSS Evidence Statements
- CAST (CAlifornia Science Test)
- NGSS Assessment Database and NGSS 3D Assessment Implementation Modules
- The Division of Instruction in collaboration with local districts rolled out 8 NGSS modules for secondary schools during Training the Trainer sessions with department chairs or their designees. Science departments are encouraged to engage in the module(s) that address their need. A unit planning module is also available for science departments and grade level meetings to support the implementation of NGSS. The goal of the module is guide teachers to develop NGSS aligned units. Click on this link to access the module.