Transition Tips for Elementary School Students
- Assist with chores at home, such as dishes, folding laundry and making the bed. Increasingly take over your personal care: set out clean clothes for yourself the night before, make sure you are well groomed (nails cut, hair brushed, body washed), etc.
- Prepare for the transition to Middle School by taking a tour with classmates or parents, meeting the teachers you will have, and asking the school to find you a peer buddy who can provide support in your initial days at the school.
- Spend at least a part of the school day integrated in a classroom with non-disabled peers.
- Have parents or teachers or another adult teach you how to shake hands properly and make eye contact.
- Practice speaking up for yourself in class when you need help. Likewise, think of your own list of questions or concerns for you annual doctor visits and ask the doctor questions yourself.
- Practice counting change, and begin saving money to work towards a bigger goal.