Provisional Teacher Support
Provisional Intern Permits and Short Term Staff PermitsTeachers hired to teach on a Provisional Intern Permit or a Short Term Staff Permit must meet the terms of their employment contract in addition to meeting the responsibilities of their teaching position.
- Remain in good standing with the District and your school
- Provisional Information Meeting
- Provisional Mid-Program Check-in
- Provisional End-of-Program Meeting
- Work with the District assigned Mentor teacher
- Sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)--Personalized Program Plan & Dispositions
- Register for and attend CSET Prep classes (optional, but highly recommended)
- Pass subject matter competency via California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) or secondary subject matter waiver unless you are on a subject area waiver (APE; SLP; ECE)
- Enter an Intern Program (District or University once eligible)
Select the date you will attend the Provisional Information Meeting (should be within 30 days of beginning contracted position), Provisional Mid-Program Meeting and Provisional End-of-Program Meeting. Register on MyPLN.
Memorandum of Understanding
Each teacher hired on a Provisional Intern Permit or Short Term Staff Permit is expected to sign the Memorandum of Understanding which includes the Personalized Program Plan and Dispositions.
CSET Preparation Classes
There are many options for taking classes that will prepare you for the CSET subtest that you need to take. Test prep classes are optional but highly recommended in order to increase your chance of success. LAUSD will provide reimbursement for the fees required for the LAUSD approved online CSET Prep Classes. Teachers will pay the fee for each class then submit the Provisional Teacher CSET Reimbursement form, evidence of course completion and the receipt for payment of fees.Be sure to select a test date that will allow you to submit your results before your permit and contract expire.
CSET Support Options
The District will reimburse participants for the Test Prep Courses listed above.
- Online CSET Prep contact Peggy.Presley@lausd.net
CSET Exam Vouchers
The District will provide a CSET exam voucher for CSET subtest after the completion of the CSET Preparation Courses listed above.
The state requires that all teachers hired on a Provisional Intern Permit or Short Term Staff Permit work with a District assigned Mentor.There is no mandatory paperwork to be completed other than updating the Online Profile and Personalized Program Plan and notifying the District of changes in your status. The Mentor will assist you with acclimating to the school and district, classroom set-up, district priorities and initiatives, home/school communication and lesson planning as appropriate for each individual teacher.
Intern Program--District or University
Once you have completed your subject matter competency requirements you will need to be accepted into an Intern Program. Either the District Intern Program or a University Intern Program will meet this requirement.
Professional Development Opportunities
For more information on support options and requirements contact Esmerelda Khoury at email@example.com.