The costs of credential/licensing exams or test preparation courses can be reimbursed or paid for STEP UP and Teach members in good standing.Testing FeesTest fee vouchers are available for the California Basic Skills Exam (CBEST) to meet the basic skills requirement, the California Subject Exam for Teachers (CSET) to meet the subject matter competency requirement, and the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA) to meet the reading instruction requirement. The value of the voucher is deducted from the member's annual $8,000 allowance.Reimbursements are available for these exams and any other required credential exams. Reimbursement requests must include the receipt for payment and proof of taking the exam, and be received within 3 months of test administration. A passing score is not required to qualify for reimbursement.Please note that testing structures and fees have recently changed.
- CBEST exam: $30.00 per subtest; available as a computer-based test or online proctored exam (paper-based testing is no longer available)
- The CSET exams have not changed; most subtests are $99.00/subtest.
- The RICA exam has two testing options:
- Video Performance $ 171.00 (no change)
- Written Exam: 3 Subtests; $57.00/subtest
STEP UP and Teach members may be reimbursed for costs for test preparation courses and materials by submitting a reimbursement request with receipts and verification of participation. In addition, the Career Ladder's Study Materials And Resources for Tests (SMART) program offers test preparation courses, either instructor-led or self-directed. STEP UP and Teach members in good standing have priority enrollment for these courses and the cost of the courses is deducted from the member's annual allowance without no upfront payment from the member. Some of these courses are provided by district personnel and some are offered through a third party, STEP UP and Teach members may participate in as many different test preparation options as desired, as long as there are funds available in their annual allowance. Please see the chart below for test preparation options that do not require upfront payment by the STEP UP and Teach member.
Career Ladder Sponsored-Preparation Courses
Preparation Course and/or Test Fee Reimbursement
Reimbursements are available for enrollment costs for preparation courses and standard registration test fees that the member pays up front, if the maximum allowance has not already been received.To Qualify for Reimbursement:
STEP UP and Teach members are encouraged to verify with the Career Ladder office prior to paying for other test preparation courses or materials, if reimbursement is desired.Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing reimbursement requests; reimbursements will appear on the members pay warrant.
- Preparation courses must be administered by a formal preparation program; verify with the STEP UP/Career Ladder office that the course will qualify for reimbursement prior to enrollment.
- Receipt of payment and course completion verification must be submitted with the reimbursement request form for preparation course.
- Receipt of payment and score reports must be submitted with the reimbursement request for test fees.
- Passage of the examination itself is not required for reimbursement; request of score reports is for verification of completion of the examination.
- Reimbursement requests must be submitted on form HR4300 Career Ladder Universal Reimbursement with all required documentation within 6 months of the completion of the preparation course or testing administration.
Preparation Course Enrollment and/or Test Fee Voucher
Test Fee VoucherSTEP UP and Teach members may request a test voucher to cover the cost of standard registration for the required credential test. The test fee voucher is used at the time of registration for the test like a coupon code or gift card. There is not an upfront fee for the member, but value of the voucher will be counted toward the member's total testing allowance.Test Fee Voucher Requirements:
- Use your LAUSD email and password to access and submit our online form HR4318: Test Fee Voucher Request (Please allow up to 2 weeks for processing.) Vouchers for the 2021-2022 school year ARE NOW AVAILABLE!
- The member will need to register for the requested test within one month of the issue date of the voucher; please note that the actual test administration date may be more than a month away.
- Test scores must be submitted to the STEP UP/Career Ladder office within 6 months to verify completion of the test; passage of the test is not required.
- Those participants that do not complete the testing administration or cancel according to the testing companies' procedures may be removed from the STEP UP and Teach program.
- If the member enrolled in a STEP UP-sponsored preparation course, the test voucher will be issued upon receipt of attendance verification for the course.
Preparation Course EnrollmentSTEP UP and Teach members may request to sign up for a STEP UP-sponsored preparation course; see course list below. There is not an upfront fee for the member, but value of the course will be counted as a fee waiver towards the member's total testing allowance.STEP UP-sponsored preparation course Enrollment Requirements: Test Preparation through TeachersTestPrep.com is also available.
- Enrollment requests must be submitted to the STEP UP/Career Ladder office using your LAUSD email and password to access and submit our online form HR4319: Preparation Course Enrollment Request; do not contact the preparation company in regards to enrollment for these courses.
- If an in-person training, the member must attend all sessions of the course or risk being removed from the STEP UP and Teach program.
- If a registered member needs to cancel enrollment in a course, then the STEP UP office must be notified at least two business days prior to the start of the preparation course.
- If an online preparation, the member must agree to the terms and conditions of the company and authorize the STEP UP office the ability monitor my progress through the preparation training.
- Upon completion of the preparation course, the member must provide proof of completion to the STEP UP/Career Ladder office.
- If a preparation course was requested as well, the voucher will be issued upon receipt of proof of completion of the preparation course.