Thank you for your
interest in continuing to serve our students as a substitute.
Please note that re-employment is contingent on current District needs, as well as meeting current
Retired LAUSD teachers who seek
re-employment with the District as a substitute teacher may go through a
modified hiring process in four stages:
- For those retiring after January 1,
2013, state law requires that a retired teacher, regardless of age, must wait
180 calendar days before returning to work in a CalSTRS-compensated position.
- During this time period, retirees should obtain the documents that will be requested in Step 3.
- For more information about regulations on working after
retirement, please go to the CalSTRS
- For your online application, please complete the required
fields (marked with an asterisk *) as best you can.
- On the Attributes screen, please
note that you are a District retiree, and provide your retirement start date.
- Please contact us if you need any assistance with the online application.
Resources will contact you to schedule a brief interview at the District
headquarters, during which the following documents will be requested:
- Reference from your last supervisor (using the electronic reference form in the online application).
- Other references may be
- Additional references may be required.
- CalSTRS Award letter (SR 1210.1) stating your official
- If you are approved for employment, the
following documents will also be required on a subsequent visit:
8457 Certificate of Medical Exam (dated within the last six months
from date of rehire)
8459 TB Clearance (dated within the last 60 days
from date of rehire)
503-708 LA County Schools Employment Authorization
- Employment eligibility documents (e.g. unexpired U.S.
passport OR Driver License and Social Security Card).
Please keep the following information in mind when applying for a
day-to-day substitute position:
substitutes must be available for a minimum of two
consecutive days. You must be available to substitute at all schools in your selected calling area(s);
you will not be able to restrict yourself to specific locations.
daily substitute rate is $190.97 ($257.73 for an extended
assignment). Please see the Certificated Substitute Unit at http://achieve.lausd.net/sub for the latest salary information
CalSTRS imposes an earnings limit on returning retirees.
Exceeding this limit may adversely impact your CalSTRS retirement benefits. Please check with CalSTRS for current earnings limit.
If you have any questions contact:
Maria A. Castro, Talent
Phone: (213) 241-5300