Para Español: Haga clic aquí
Interested parents in identifying the students as gifted should contact their local resident school and meet with the school site GATE coordinator concerning the identification process.
LAUSD Board of Education has adopted a plan for Gifted and Talented Education (GATE), which includes District policies and procedures for identifying gifted learners in seven categories. The District’s policies and procedures for gifted/talented identification are in accordance with California State requirements and the District’s agreement with the Office for Civil Rights.
Students may be referred for assessment by a parent, teacher, friend or self-referral. However, the referral must be screened and the recommendation to continue the identification process must be made by LAUSD school certificated personnel. Recommendations must be supported by school records. The screening process and recommendation must be documented prior to obtaining the required parent consent and completing the referral.
Students Eligible for Gifted/Talented Identification Referral:
- Students who are enrolled in Los Angeles Unified School District schools and are residents of LAUSD.
- Students who are enrolled in LAUSD schools but are not residents of the Los Angeles Unified School District may be referred for identification by their LAUSD school of attendance. (A copy of the inter-district permit is no longer required.)
Charter Schools: (Independent and affiliated charter schools must be within LAUSD boundaries and be authorized by LAUSD).
- All charter schools in LAUSD may request evaluations for identification of students through the Fee-for-Service process.
- Interested charter schools are to contact the Charter Schools Division for information regarding Fee-for-Service process.
- The Fee-for-Service form must be signed by the administrator before a referral can be submitted for students to be assessed.
Students Ineligible for Referral for Gifted Identification—Students not eligible for referral include students enrolled in:
- Private schools.
- Independent charter schools either outside of LAUSD boundaries or not authorized by LAUSD.
- Home school programs not affiliated with the City of Angels, an independent study school for LAUSD.
A Parent Consent for Assessment and Program Placement must be obtained, signed and returned to the referring school. Recommendations must be supported by school records. The screening process and recommendation must be documented prior to obtaining the required parent consent and completing the referral.
The referral must be screened and the recommendation to continue the identification process must be made by LAUSD school certificated personnel.